A Long and Wordy Post About Nothing



I am fully in "fake it till you make it" mode here.  In nearly every aspect of my life.

As a mother?  Fakin' it.  My kids think I know what I'm doing.  (I hope)  But really, nearly 80% of the time that I actually listen to myself, I think, "really???  you are the adult here??  wow."  

In my goals of weight loss?  yeah, fakin' it.  But in that regard, I'm not even faking it well.  It's more like I'm faking that I'm trying... 

In my creative endeavors?  I'm a total fraud.  People think I'm so creative, but really, I'm just a good copier.  I don't think I have one original idea in my head.

I'm going to be really honest here and admit that I know people think I am this really spiritual person.  And to a degree, I think that's fairly true (in that I feel like I am pretty sensitive to the Spirit).  But that doesn't mean that I am doing all of the simplest of things that we are counselled and even commanded to do.  Scriptures?  only if I remember.  Prayer?  sometimes.  Family Home Evening?  not so much...  

I'm not totally what I may appear to be from the outside.  Except catty.  I am that. :)

Truth be told, I am feeling a little lost.  Lost might not be the right word.  Directionless might be a better way of describing how I feel right now.  

I mean, I honestly DO love my life.  I have an amazing husband.  Fan-TAS-tic kids - except for when they are told that dinner is spaghetti...  but I digress...  And I feel like I sound ungrateful or unhappy.  I'm not.  At all.  (except for when I am)

I guess the point of all of this rambling is a feeble attempt at trying to figure out what I want.  For my life.  For this blog.  

A friend of mine shared an idea that I think may help me on my way to figuring things out.  Her friend sets goals on her birthday.  As many goals as she is years old.  For example, this year that would mean I will set 37 (?!?!) goals that I would try to accomplish by my next birthday.  They can be big or small.  And trust me, lots of mine will be small.  But I think this might be a great way to pinpoint some areas where I am feeling unfulfilled.

So, stay tuned for some future posts about some of these 37 goals.

Also, as soon as I can get my dumb camera to let me upload the pictures from it, I have lots of projects done and some in the works.

I will try to be much better about posting more often.  


Comments

you-my dear sister- are so much more than you give yourself credit for. Amazing, sincere, genuine, wonderful! Give yourself the credit you deserve- the rest of us can see who you really are- and that person is AMAZING!
xoxo,
Amy
Joshua Jensen said…
Talk about being hard on yourself ;) You are awesome! Give yourself credit.

We'll get going on the exercise if it would stop snowing already!!!

I'm very impressed that you can blog these feelings. I'm feeling exactly the same way, but I would never blog about it.
Muriel said…
I have to agree with what has already been said. Even though we haven't been in touch for 15 years, I remember what a great person you were and you can only have gotten better with age. That having been said, I think everyone (especially me) are at some of the same points in life (I am a great copier) and I feel like I could have written this post. :) I tell my husband (quite frequently in tears) that I wish I "did" something and was good at it. I'm sure you are just like me and don't take as much time as you should/would/could for yourself. That's what having kids does to us. I would love to keep in touch more and help each other out with this stuff. Maybe we have a friendly competition to lose 10 pounds, run a 5K (or whatever)? You are awesome Karen! Next time I'm down that way we have to do lunch or something.
Liz said…
Faking it is really the only way.....I do it constantly. I like the birthday goal thing. And, btw, knowing what to copy is a talent. We all go through phases, we just have to do our best. Last night was fun!
Rebekah said…
OH Karen, if you are faking it you sure do a good job! So in my mind there is no way you are faking it you just have a hard time complimenting yourself. Oh and by the way, you want to know why you have a wonderful husband and wonderful kids??....because you my dear are ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! LOve you truely!
pan x 8 said…
37 goals, right? If I can think of that many goals without killing myself! lol

I totally get you. You are the best!