There is just something so nice about a silent house.
The kids just went back to school after spring break, and as a friend told me yesterday, now my spring break begins!
After the craziness of the school morning rush ended, and all of the kids were safely deposited at school, I have had a silent morning of cleaning. It's been lovely. And now I get to sit and enjoy the relief of cleared off tables and countertops, a clean sink, and {relatively} clean floor. Don't get me wrong, if you came over right now, there would still be a full laundry basket waiting to go downstairs, a bathroom in desperate need of wiping down, and stairs that have been pleading to be vacuumed... but from where it started... I'm calling it clean.
Spring break wasn't really full of anything noteworthy - we mostly just stayed around home, and had cousin time and friend time. I just really love not having the schedule of school. Bryson spent the week in St. George with friends, and I am really proud of myself for letting him have tastes of independence now and then.
I'm not going to lie - it's hard to let your oldest start having this type of autonomy. It is tricky to know where the line is between childhood and adulthood. And to know how to parent without smothering. And it's really hard to feel like there are so many skills/values that you didn't teach well enough, and you are terrified that you missed something terribly vital. And worst of all, is knowing that they are 18, and if you did mess up, it's almost too late to fixthem it.
I'm pathetically relieved when I hear stories of friends' roommates who came to school not knowing how to clean/do laundry/cook - and that they survived and in some cases became incredibly proficient in the skills they once lacked.
We are staring down the barrel at a graduation and mission call - and a strange sense of unreality is setting in. Honestly, it is impossible to believe that this time is upon us. And knowing that life as we have known it is about to dramatically change, is hard to wrap my head around. I know that it is going to be fine and amazing and thrilling, but change is never easy -
But ultimately, if the next phase is as fun as the last phase has been, I say, "bring it on."
The kids just went back to school after spring break, and as a friend told me yesterday, now my spring break begins!
After the craziness of the school morning rush ended, and all of the kids were safely deposited at school, I have had a silent morning of cleaning. It's been lovely. And now I get to sit and enjoy the relief of cleared off tables and countertops, a clean sink, and {relatively} clean floor. Don't get me wrong, if you came over right now, there would still be a full laundry basket waiting to go downstairs, a bathroom in desperate need of wiping down, and stairs that have been pleading to be vacuumed... but from where it started... I'm calling it clean.
Spring break wasn't really full of anything noteworthy - we mostly just stayed around home, and had cousin time and friend time. I just really love not having the schedule of school. Bryson spent the week in St. George with friends, and I am really proud of myself for letting him have tastes of independence now and then.
I'm not going to lie - it's hard to let your oldest start having this type of autonomy. It is tricky to know where the line is between childhood and adulthood. And to know how to parent without smothering. And it's really hard to feel like there are so many skills/values that you didn't teach well enough, and you are terrified that you missed something terribly vital. And worst of all, is knowing that they are 18, and if you did mess up, it's almost too late to fix
I'm pathetically relieved when I hear stories of friends' roommates who came to school not knowing how to clean/do laundry/cook - and that they survived and in some cases became incredibly proficient in the skills they once lacked.
We are staring down the barrel at a graduation and mission call - and a strange sense of unreality is setting in. Honestly, it is impossible to believe that this time is upon us. And knowing that life as we have known it is about to dramatically change, is hard to wrap my head around. I know that it is going to be fine and amazing and thrilling, but change is never easy -
But ultimately, if the next phase is as fun as the last phase has been, I say, "bring it on."

Comments