Sorry this post is delayed. Friday got crazy, and then yesterday was busy with me sending my family off to the cabin for the weekend {Happy Valentines Day to me! - I'm being totally serious. Having a couple of days to myself is amazing!! the house stays clean, I don't have to cook if I don't want... heaven :) }
So, Carcassonne. We loved Carcassonne! Our night time explorations were amazing, and unfortunately, we didn't have too long for exploring in the day time before we had to catch our train to Marseilles. But what we were able to see, we LOVED.
Remember the tiny elevator I mentioned? John took a {blurry} picture of it. But check it out.
This is us on our way back up to the castle.
I think John said this was an entrance to centre ville. (basically the main town)
This time, we walked around to the official main entrance to the castle. It was only slightly windy. {ha}
This is the coolest. It is seriously like stepping back in time.
Just inside the entrance...
We had breakfast at this little cafe inside the castle.
The candy store. I don't know why we were so fascinated by this store. It's just like the Candy Barrel at home... {eye roll} but, I mean, it was inside a medieval castle in France. So, I guess there's that.
This is a gummy egg that we bought in honor of John's dad who has been in the egg business for YEARS. For some reason we thought it was really funny.
But the towers behind the egg are awesome!
Alas, long before we were ready, we had to leave to get to the train station and head to our next destination - Marseilles.
We did have a lay-over of sorts in a town called Narbonne. It was going to be a few hours before our train to Marseille, so we did a little exploring. John and Bryson found this cool old cathedral.
We finally arrived in Marseilles around 9pm. We {John} were pretty sure our hotel was close enough to walk, so we schlepped our bags for what seemed like forever through what also seemed like a fairly sketchy part of town, where I felt totally conspicuous and like we were carrying "please mug us, we're tourist" signs.
This is my "you've got to be kidding me this is our hotel?!?!" face. We had arrived late, so there was no one at the desk to buzz us in, and our code wasn't working. This old couple that came while we were panicking looked at us like we were ax murderers when we asked if they would let us in behind them. It was awesome. We were pretty sure we were going to have to spend the night on the floor again.
Luckily, the manager came back and got us set up and gave us our keys - so we were able to get settled into our eastern-bloc style hotel. We immediately crashed into bed and went to sleep.
Not really the most auspicious entry into Marseilles for us.























Comments