So, Day 6 was an adventure. We had 3 cities we wanted to visit this day, so we got up bright and early and took the metro to the train station.


We ate a late breakfast/early lunch on the steps of this alleyway. THEN I remembered what John said about the alleys and walls. (men will just lean against the wall and pee anywhere....I kid you not. We actually witnessed an old guy relieving himself...) Hand sanitizer is a must-have in your bag!

Messing around with the fish-eye lens.
I love the detail on this lion statue.
In Europe, don't forget to look UP. There is amazing detail everywhere!
Remember how I said almost every town has a carousel? {gotta love that fish-eye}
This is a picture of Palais du Pape. Apparently, there was a time when there were 2 or 3 popes vying for claim over the church. One of them lived in this palace in Avignon.
Here is the bridge that the song is about. It no longer crosses the entire river.
There was this park that was supposed to have free wifi, but we couldn't ever get a signal. But we did get some pretty cool pictures.
We got a snack for the train ride to our next stop... 1 euro crepes? Yes, please. {they weren't really that good, but oh well.}
...again - the balustrades that I love...
I love how manicured the trees appear.
We saw these two guys "throwing" a football {it was pathetically funny how bad they were at both throwing and catching}, and so John and Bryson of course had to go over and ask if they could play. Show offs.

I find it amazing that people live and work in a place like this. And that it's just no big deal. Living as I have my entire life in Salt Lake suburbia, the beauty and age of this place calls out to me.

Not a great picture, but you get a sense of how alive the square comes at night.
All good things must come to an end, it was time to head back to Marseilles to rest up for tomorrow's adventure!
We got to know the train station in Marseilles very well. It IS pretty though.
Our first stop was Arles. We wanted to visit this roman arena. Arles is pretty small.
We ate a late breakfast/early lunch on the steps of this alleyway. THEN I remembered what John said about the alleys and walls. (men will just lean against the wall and pee anywhere....I kid you not. We actually witnessed an old guy relieving himself...) Hand sanitizer is a must-have in your bag!
This is one of my favorite pictures. Waiting at the train station to leave for our next stop.
Avignon. There's a song about the bridge in Avignon. {on the bridge in avignon, we are dancing, we are dancing....}
Anyway, this cool fountain was gorgeously aged. And the pigeons were loving the shower!
There was a very cool courtyard that we explored for a bit.
Messing around with the fish-eye lens.
I love the detail on this lion statue.
In Europe, don't forget to look UP. There is amazing detail everywhere!
Remember how I said almost every town has a carousel? {gotta love that fish-eye}
This is a picture of Palais du Pape. Apparently, there was a time when there were 2 or 3 popes vying for claim over the church. One of them lived in this palace in Avignon.
Here is the bridge that the song is about. It no longer crosses the entire river.
By this day, Megan was really missing her cats. So every cute little stray had to get some love. Again, I stress hand sanitizer...:)
Back in the courtyard, Bryson experimenting with the macro-lens.
There was this park that was supposed to have free wifi, but we couldn't ever get a signal. But we did get some pretty cool pictures.
We got a snack for the train ride to our next stop... 1 euro crepes? Yes, please. {they weren't really that good, but oh well.}
This is the very cool train station at our next stop - Montpellier.
Montpellier is the site of a couple of universities. It has a very clean, cool, active vibe. First, though, some shopping at the mall...
{john and bryson thought this dog's tongue was hilariously long}
Then, on to explore the city. The main square is called Place de la Comedie. Some amazing buildings create this square.
The story of this Arc du Triomphe is that on his mission, John bet his companion that he could throw the nerf football over the arch. When he tried to prove it, a gust of wind caught the ball, and it landed neatly on top of the monument.
Beyond the monument, there is this gorgeous park.
...again - the balustrades that I love...
The park had pretty cool views overlooking the city.
We saw these two guys "throwing" a football {it was pathetically funny how bad they were at both throwing and catching}, and so John and Bryson of course had to go over and ask if they could play. Show offs.

We had some pretty gorgeous skies as the sun started to set. It was almost time to head back to the train, and we needed to find some dinner.
I find it amazing that people live and work in a place like this. And that it's just no big deal. Living as I have my entire life in Salt Lake suburbia, the beauty and age of this place calls out to me.
John saw this sign for Americain Steakfrites, and he just had to have one. It's basically a hamburger and fries smashed into a baguette and heated in the panini press.
2.5 euros each... not too bad!
Place de la Comedie lights up so cool at night. I didn't get many good shots, but it was just alive with people and blue lights and music.... Montpellier was one of our favorite places.
Not a great picture, but you get a sense of how alive the square comes at night.
All good things must come to an end, it was time to head back to Marseilles to rest up for tomorrow's adventure!
Au Revoir!






























Comments