Friday in France: Day 5 ~ Marseilles

So, we recovered from our traumatic entry into Marseilles, and the next morning we were ready to head to Vieux Port.  

One thing that was so fun about France is that almost every city/town had a carousel.  And many of them were ornate and beautiful like this one.




My favorite lunches that we had were panini sandwiches.  They were so good!



Here's Megan ordering her lunch in french all on her own.  The girl just oozes french style!




At Vieux Port, there was this weird structure {I think for shade?} that had a mirrored ceiling.  It was trippy looking up at it.


The harbor was packed with boats.


Aren't they cute!!?

And this guy was in heaven being back in his old stomping grounds.  He loved showing the kids places associated with some of his favorite mission stories.


Like this beach, just behind us, he had a baptism in the Med.


Megan is so cute!  She'll probably be mad I posted this pic...


This huge random rock was in the middle of the beach.  And if there's a rock, a LaMunyon's gotta climb it.





Our next stop was Parc Borely.  It is right up the road from the LDS chapel in Marseilles, and there is a small shop that rents these cool bike/cart things.


Megan said this was her favorite part of the day by far.


We pedalled all over the place - this park is HUGE!


And it is beautiful.


This pond/statue is one that I have a picture of from 16 years ago when John and I came before.  I was able to get back by that statue in the background then.  Now it's all gated off.






This is the back side of a huge museum at Palais Longchamp.  There is a large park behind it, which boasts some pretty spectacular views...

And a hot dog and ice cream stand...

The view coming down from the top of the Palais.

Looking back at the Palais Longchamp.  It's really quite spectacular.  



For all the crap I talk about Marseilles, I still think it had some really charming moments.  This day really was fun.




...aaaaand back to the reason I talk crap about this city...


At the end of the day, Megan and I were exhausted.  But John and Bryson decided to go get some evening shots.  Below is a shot looking towards Chateau D'If.  We didn't end up taking a trip out to the island, but that would have been very cool.


One of Bryson's cool night shots.


This is the Cathedral Notre-Dame de la Garde.  This picture isn't very clear but it is a cool looking cathedral that sits atop the hill and has a striped appearance from the type of stone used in its construction.

Vieux Port at night.  So, so cool.  Another of my favorites by Bryson.



Au Revoir!



Comments