Fridays in France

So, in an effort to share our trip to France last fall without being annoying, I have decided to have a "Fridays in France" series.

To start out, will skip the whole ordeal of our delays and cancellations on the journey there, and jump right into Paris.

We arrived in Paris mid-morning a day later than we had been scheduled.  We snagged a taxi outside of the airport and geared up for a hair-raising ride to our hotel.


From the car, we started snapping pictures of this gorgeous city.  I don't know what it is about Paris... The age of the buildings, the architectural details, the art in even functional things - it all just appealed to my heart in a way that I was not expecting.

Driving in Paris is not something I would ever EVER! try to attempt.  It is amazing that people can ever get where they are going if it requires a car.  Where we went, we just walked or took a boat along the Seinne.  



I love this building.  




...and this one.  The iron work at the windows is so lovely...





We dropped off our bags and grabbed quick showers (to wash off our travel grime after sleeping on the airport floor) and then headed out to explore.  

This fountain was right around the corner from the hotel.


I can't believe that we got to bring 2 of our kids on this trip with us!   What an awesome experience for them to be able to have before graduating high school!  I hope that it is one of their most treasured memories.


aaaannnd of course, we had to stop at the first creperie that we found.  



I don't know what it was about this crepe, but it was the best one of the whole trip for me.  Perfectly soft, with tons of butter and sugar.  perfect!


I developed a bit of an obsession with these concrete/stone ballustrades.  


An accordian-playing street performer?!  How quintessentially Parisian.  And the bridge he is on is one of the ones COVERED in the love-locks.  I had read an article where the writer lived in Paris, and she was talking about how the locks are a form of graffiti, and that the true Parisians detested them.   And apparently, the city has decided to remove them, but not necessarily because of the look.  I guess the weight of all of these locks is beginning to compromise the structural integrity of these bridges...  So no more lock-covered bridges.  


But they look pretty cool.


We really didn't have an agenda or guide-book inspired tour planned.  Our style is much more laid back and wandering.  We were still very much in the touristy areas, but we didn't rush from monument to monument.  


We took our time through the parks, sat and soaked it in a bit, and just tried to recover from traveling.


Our first view of the Eiffel Tower was from Pont Neuf as we crossed the Seinne to visit the Cathedral Notre Dame.



Notre Dame.  Such a beautiful structure.  It is so imposing.  We didn't want to wait in the long line to go inside, so I didn't get that perspective, but the exterior was stunnning enough.


As beautiful as the front is, I think the sides and rear are equally - if not more - interesting.





So this guy was the pigeon man.  He pulled me over, put birdseed in each of my hands and had me hold out my arms.  Before I knew it, I was covered in pigeons.  It was awesome and creepy at the same time...  For the cost of a few Euros, I now have a unique memory of my first day in Paris.



 Just another building exterior...  Paris was a study in grays and blues, creams and more grays.


Megan was a little jet-lagged, so she looks less happy than she was...   Her hat was her first souvenir. (unfortunately lost later in our trip when it was left on a train)



Bryson was not often without a camera in front of his face.  He typically had been shooting mountain/nature shots, so getting into the groove of shooting in the city was a fun change for him.


 Day one ended with us turning in a little early, and plans to see the Eiffel Tower the next day - which also happened to be my 40th birthday!  How lucky was I??

Next week will be day two -



Comments