Life Goes On

So, it's been a little awkward, right?  I'm not going to lie, since my last couple of posts, it's been a little weird.  There's the element of not knowing who read it, and who didn't - so I don't know if the person I'm interacting with is viewing me through the lens of my blog posts or not.  And there's the twisted part of this all where I feel like I can't be normal.  That if I really feel so desperate, then I should be walking around all morose and broken.  Is it possible to suffer from depression and still function {at least on the surface} at a relatively normal level?  I think it must be.  At least part of the time.

And on that note, here is a "normal" blog post : {although, these boys are appearing to be anything but normal}

gutter fishing


It's difficult to believe that two weeks from today we will be back to school.  I am not ready.  Not ready for moments like this ^ to be at an end.  Not ready for the homework, early mornings, or the emotional drain that seems to be inherent with school.

Megan has been going to open gyms at the school to prepare for volleyball tryouts.  I'm incredibly proud of her for overcoming her fear and attending these "practices".  I hope that she will continue to push herself beyond her comfort zone and learn important lessons about herself.

It looks like I'm about to have another driver in the house!  Bryson is finally going to get his driver's license.  It's impossible to put into words the mixed emotions that I have about this event.  On the one hand, I remember clearly getting my license.  I'm sure that my parents worried about my safety, but to their credit, they really never let me see it.  I'm afraid that I have not been so nonchalant in my approach.  I'm terrified, and he knows it.  I hope, though, that he also knows that it's not so much that I feel like he's not a good driver {because he is good}.  It's more that I worry about the combination of his lack of experience and the mistakes/unpredictability of other drivers on the road.  {deep breaths... ...I think I just worked myself into a mild panic attack}  All that being said, I do look forward to being able to send him on errands, and have him pick kids up from various locations...  I just wish we had another car for him to do it in.

You guys, my house is an utter disaster.  Usually it is at least clean on the surface.  But right now??  Not even a little bit.  I'm feeling frustrated to the point that I wish I could just take everything out of my house - literally EVERYTHING - and deep, deep clean it.  Then I could just be ruthless in editing what comes back in.

Over the weekend I scored a dining table and chairs for $50.  It's an unfortunate knotty pine finish, so I don't even want to bring it in the house until I get it refinished/painted/lacquered.  It's awesome, because I will finally be able to fit at least 8 at the table (our current table was a stretch to fit 6).  I also recently acquired a fabulous 8-drawer dresser that needs some love as well.  I haven't had a dresser of my own for at least  15 years.  I'm excited to tackle these projects - but feeling more than a little overwhelmed as well.  But tackle the makeovers I must, because we need the garage cleared soon so that we can be ready to get started on the next round of Draw Collar building.

Ah, the joys of life.  It just never eases up.

p.s.  it's official.  He's driving.  On his first {legal} solo drive with 2 siblings in tow.  Brave kids.


Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
In answer to your question, "Is it possible to suffer from depression and still function {at least on the surface} at a relatively normal level?" My answer would be, Yes! I have a family member that has been doing it for about 40 years. No Joke.

I can't believe you have a driver! Ahhhh! Scary! I have not been very nonchalant about having a high schooler, and apparently it's getting to him, so I need to be less vocal about it, I guess.

How fun for Meg! So hard to put yourself out there. But, I'm know she'll be awesome!

All these kids growing up sure is scary, but hopefully we've taught them enough to survive in our crazy world. I know we (the parents) can see all of their shortcomings, anxieties and set backs, but we need to be their biggest and loudest cheerleaders and they will succeed!
Marrdy said…
I wanted to let you know when I saw you last night and saw your beautiful smile I knew you would conquer this darkness that has you cornered. You are such a wonderful, kind, amazing woman and I am glad I can count you among the "girls" I miss from "home". Much love to you.