I know I've been a little MIA here this past week or so. I am just in total, total shock over how fast last week went! I think John's quick trip made it seem even faster than normal.
But to make up for it, I have a super fun project to post today. Now, this one wasn't completely free, we finally bit the bullet and invested a little bit of money to hopefully make my kitchen function a little better. It's really a stop-gap measure, because really the only thing that will make this kitchen function is a total gut job (or at least a major overhaul). But spending $250 to tide me over sounded way better than $2000 for all of the other changes that need to happen.
So without further ado, I give you....
THE PANTRY MAKEOVER!!!
This is obviously the "before" picture. When we moved into our house 10(!) years ago, we had taken down a wall between the kitchen/dining/living room and opened it all up. Not realizing how seriously deficient in counter space we were, but knowing that we needed some sort of storage, we built in this pantry. It is built on an angle, and so has these random corners and angles inside. When we first built it, we custom cut shelves out of wood, and had them fixed in place.
It didn't ever really work great, and over the course of the years, we've tried to switch things around. For a brief stint, even our fridge lived in there. So, since the wood shelves had been taken out, I just stuck a a shelving unit that slid into the doorway, and shoved things in. Having a shelving unit in there, meant that there was a ton of wasted space in all of those corners. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't clean the floor under the bottom shelf when things would spill - or the fact that I would have things fall off the sides and be unrecoverable unless I unloaded a shelf!
Time for everything to come out. We had painted the inside red when we first built it because our kitchen walls were red too.
I found some oops paint at Home Depot for $7, and it was a wonderfully light and bright shade of green. I knew it would be perfect to play off of my new(ish) blue walls. We bought the components for adjustable shelving, and one pantry spice organizer (wall mount).
And here she {yes, pantries are feminine} is...
There will obviously be more playing around with the actual organization of it all as more groceries are bought and containers accumulated. {and ignore the unpainted door jam - that will be done when I figure out the door situation}
I love how light it looks, even without doors. Which, I think I have a really fun solution for, but will require some time and work - so that will have to be a follow up post. Before, we had just hung a curtain to hide the shame. But it looks so great now, that I can handle it being open until the door comes together.
One more before and after:
But to make up for it, I have a super fun project to post today. Now, this one wasn't completely free, we finally bit the bullet and invested a little bit of money to hopefully make my kitchen function a little better. It's really a stop-gap measure, because really the only thing that will make this kitchen function is a total gut job (or at least a major overhaul). But spending $250 to tide me over sounded way better than $2000 for all of the other changes that need to happen.
So without further ado, I give you....
THE PANTRY MAKEOVER!!!

This is obviously the "before" picture. When we moved into our house 10(!) years ago, we had taken down a wall between the kitchen/dining/living room and opened it all up. Not realizing how seriously deficient in counter space we were, but knowing that we needed some sort of storage, we built in this pantry. It is built on an angle, and so has these random corners and angles inside. When we first built it, we custom cut shelves out of wood, and had them fixed in place.
It didn't ever really work great, and over the course of the years, we've tried to switch things around. For a brief stint, even our fridge lived in there. So, since the wood shelves had been taken out, I just stuck a a shelving unit that slid into the doorway, and shoved things in. Having a shelving unit in there, meant that there was a ton of wasted space in all of those corners. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't clean the floor under the bottom shelf when things would spill - or the fact that I would have things fall off the sides and be unrecoverable unless I unloaded a shelf!

Time for everything to come out. We had painted the inside red when we first built it because our kitchen walls were red too.
I found some oops paint at Home Depot for $7, and it was a wonderfully light and bright shade of green. I knew it would be perfect to play off of my new(ish) blue walls. We bought the components for adjustable shelving, and one pantry spice organizer (wall mount).
And here she {yes, pantries are feminine} is...

There will obviously be more playing around with the actual organization of it all as more groceries are bought and containers accumulated. {and ignore the unpainted door jam - that will be done when I figure out the door situation}
I love how light it looks, even without doors. Which, I think I have a really fun solution for, but will require some time and work - so that will have to be a follow up post. Before, we had just hung a curtain to hide the shame. But it looks so great now, that I can handle it being open until the door comes together.
One more before and after:
Oh, I just love it!!! I can get so much more stuff in here. It makes me smile when I pass by.

Comments
xoxo
Im your newest follower.
Melissa
Angela