I simply cannot believe that this is happening. Dances, dating, driving...
So, Bryson was asked to Sweethearts dance by this cute girl on his birthday. She is a year ahead in school, and they were in the same seminary class.
There was no school on Friday, so their group went up to Soldier Hollow and went tubing. I was almost hoping that would be cancelled because of snowy roads, but the weather let up and up they went. And of course, they had a blast. Their group was huge!
The dance was on Saturday night, and I guess they had a dinner catered at one of the girls' houses. Then off to the dance where (surprisingly) Bryson had a great time dancing and hanging out.

We went the safe "wrist corsage" route. {side note, I should get into the corsage business. I think it's a racket. $26 for a few baby roses and greenery hooked to an elastic?? hmmm.}

And this cool knot was something I had pinned to Pinterest a while back, and Bryson thought it would be a cool little twist to try. He rocked it. :)
After the dance was over, they headed to a gymnastics place in Midvale and played around on the equipment and stuff. He had a great time, and I think was kind of relieved to have that "first real date" over without any major embarrassment or incident.
I have to admit, that as the mom, I am grateful that this first date is over too. Like most new things that this kid and I are experiencing, it's the unknown that makes it all feel like such a dang big deal. (don't get me wrong, first dates are a big deal, just not something that has to be dreaded) There have been a lot of firsts that have really freaked me out at this stage. But, every time we reach one of these "firsts", I grow up a little and am able to let him grow up a little more too.
I'm glad I have such a easy natured kid as my oldest, so that he can more easily handle my neurotic mommy tendencies as we experience this stage together. My younger children will have it waay easier than he does.
Watching these little people turn into big people is more fun than I ever thought it would be. They are so amazing! And I am so grateful!



Comments