My Word!

So in true "new year's" fashion, I have been spending a lot of time this past week thinking about goals, and changes, and things I want to accomplish during 2013.  

There are of course the usual goals: lose weight, become more consistent with my scripture study, get organized, be more disciplined financially... 

But overall, I think this year I want to join the throngs of people who are choosing a "word of the year" that umbrellas over all of the goals and creates a focus or key word to bring to remembrance goals set.

It's taken a lot of soul searching and consideration to find my word.  But I think I finally settled on one.


Courage

I want to move past the fear that has been holding me back from making the changes that I want in my life.  I want to be brave and push myself beyond what I am comfortable with and see what I can become.  

I think I want to try to grow my little blog a bit.  To face the fear that maybe I really don't have anything to offer.  I want to be courageous and try to find "my thing" that might be of some value to people.  

I want to get healthy.  I want to learn how to deal with my emotional eating habits, which means having the courage to feel instead of burying my feelings in food.

I want to try to create the opportunity for some overseas adventures with my family - which means finally tackling my financial habits and facing the fear that there really just might not be enough...

I want to become a better mother.  Which I think means letting go of some of the fear that comes with letting my children grow up and make some of their own choices.  It means continuing to try to teach, but putting my trust in God and allowing them experiences for their own growth.

And finally, I want to have the courage to find my own mode of creative expression.  And maybe even find a way to earn a little income through it.  Whether it's through writing, decorating, creating/crafting,  I just want to stop being so afraid of failing that I don't even try.

So to get me started, here is a peek at the beginning of a project I've been dying to try.  Painted Antlers. It's a little too cold to spray paint, but John turned on the heater he uses when we have to be in the garage building Draw Collars, and I was able to experiment a little.  I was pretty impatient, and so I didn't wait long enough between coats - so it's got some flaws that I will have to fix later, but  I'm actually loving how it's looking.  I am excited to see how it evolves and turns out.

Painted Antler

I have also tackled an organization project that I am excited to share with you later this week or early next.  

I'm really trying to get off to a running start this year, and I'm feeling a lot of peace with my "word".  I think really embracing COURAGE and letting go of my fear is going to open a world of opportunities for me and my life.

What about you?  Are you into the resolutions, or are you choosing a word to define your year?

I wish you well, whatever you are hoping for in 2013...

Comments

Muriel said…
I am thinking of "House" as in D&C 88:119 "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God". We'll be moving this year and things are going to be different.