Gingerbread Creations 2012 {alternate title: The Massacre}

xmas 2012 - gingerbread

Last night for Family Home Evening, I thought it would be a fun night to do our gingerbread village.  I had grabbed the box weeks ago, immediately put it away when I got home, and never gave it another thought.

A few days ago I remembered that I had this fun thing, and yesterday went to the store to get decorations for our village.  In my mind, these were going to be normal sized gingerbread houses, so I went a little crazy buying goodies to adorn the houses.

They really should put a coin or something next to these houses on the box so you have an idea of scale.

xmas 2012 - gingerbread
here's what they say it will look like

I was more than a little shocked when I opened the box and found 2x2 inch squares, and 4x3 roofs...  Clearly, I bought too much candy, and much too LARGE candy for these teeny tiny buildings.  I would have been better off using graham crackers.  But - live and learn, right?

Luckily, the kids didn't care too much, and got into the spirit of the evening.


xmas 2012 - gingerbread

We had a blast trying to decorate these things.  Poor Max's house fell completely apart.  And then the madness began:

xmas 2012 - gingerbread

Bryson's house turned into the scene of a grizzly gingerbread man attack, with a snowman defending the house - victoriously holding aloft the head of a defeated gingerbread attacker.


gingerbread massacre 2012

Seriously, one of the funniest things ever.

Here are all of the "houses" completed, and one of the aftermath:
gingerbread village 2012
top left: Bryson and Megan's houses; top right: Sophie's (which actually turned out really cute)
bottom left: Max's caved in disaster; bottom right: the aftermath


All in all, it ended up being a fun evening with a lot of laughter, only a few tears, and {i hope} a memory to treasure.  

Comments

Liz said…
I'm laughing so hard! Those are great!

Yes, we fell for the same thing. I figured they'd be bigger, but was lured in by the thought that each kid could get their own. They turned out cute, but only because I cheat and hot glue them together. Yours are so fun!
Karen said…
Hot glue! Genius!! Why didn't I think of that??
Becky said…
I adore this post! Love the pics: project, progress, kids' expressions. Brilliant. Wish I could replicate it at our place. Here's to gingerbread and the happy chaos that goes with it.