Sometimes the hardest part of being a mother is stepping back and letting the consequences of your kids' choices take effect.
Especially as they get older and the choices have ever more lasting and painful effects.
But I think I am finally starting to learn that if I follow my instinct and rush in and try to make it all better or less painful, I am seriously handicapping my children. They must be given the opportunity to experience consequences while they (the consequences) are relatively short term. I know this all sounds like parenting 101 and that in chorus people are saying, "duuuuh." But this is more or less finally sinking in for me. Some are slower on the uptake than others. Thank heavens my progress is only measured against myself.
Moving on then, I'm having heart failure thinking that today is the 10th of November. I still haven't managed to really sit down to plan and prepare for the holidays. That must be my priority #1. I look forward to reporting on my plans. One thing I do know for sure, is that I hope to keep it nice and simple. Both in decoration and gifts.
Hopefully I can get the kids on board with that.
But I think I am finally starting to learn that if I follow my instinct and rush in and try to make it all better or less painful, I am seriously handicapping my children. They must be given the opportunity to experience consequences while they (the consequences) are relatively short term. I know this all sounds like parenting 101 and that in chorus people are saying, "duuuuh." But this is more or less finally sinking in for me. Some are slower on the uptake than others. Thank heavens my progress is only measured against myself.
***********
Moving on then, I'm having heart failure thinking that today is the 10th of November. I still haven't managed to really sit down to plan and prepare for the holidays. That must be my priority #1. I look forward to reporting on my plans. One thing I do know for sure, is that I hope to keep it nice and simple. Both in decoration and gifts.
Hopefully I can get the kids on board with that.

Comments