Our old red front door... It was a beautiful wooden door, heavy - loved the panels... But it was old. Probably original to the house. And it had a crack in one of the panels. You could see light through it, and no amount of patching/filler/painting could close it. In desperation last winter, we even put a piece of ugly gray weatherstripping over the crack on the inside of the door to keep the cold air out.
Classy.
So we decided (with the help of my parents - thanks dad!!) to replace the door with a new metal one.
And while we were at it, we thought, "let's just replace the sidelight windows too." Shouldn't be hard, right? The old sidelights were ugly amber pebbled plexiglass numbers, and one of THEM had a crack in it. So lovely.
So we replaced them with lovely clear double paned windows. The amount of light they let in is astounding. For the first couple of weeks, we were constantly shouting, "who left the door open!" because we'd see all that light pouring up the stairs.
Well, replacing the door and windows made me realize just how bad of shape the trim around the front door looked. So, I opened up that can of worms, and we ended up replacing all of the wood around the door.
And THEN I saw a can of "oops" paint at home depot in a gorgeous shade of gray, and thought we could repaint the wood above the door and between the front windows of the house (that were previously cream). For $7? You bet. We chose a pretty purple (eggplant) color for the front door and shutters.
So here it is in all it's freshly made-over glory:
Obviously, I'm not done. I want to add house numbers somewhere, and a kick plate. And some fall decor. And a wreath or something. I also plan to put some strips on the sidelights that will give the impression of panes. Right now, I feel like it kind of looks like these empty holes next to the front door. I'm also going to put some sort of window covering over them for privacy at night. So, for being finished, that sure seems like a long to-do list... But at least it's done, and all we need to do is the finishing touches to pretty it up a little.
It's so nice to get these projects out of the way.
I've struggled a little with this transition to having no kids at home during the day. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. So, I've wasted a lot of time so far on the computer. But this week, I've tried to actually DO some of the projects I've pinned. Some are working out, and some are not. I'll be posting some of my Pinterest adventures over the next little bit.
For now, I'm just looking forward to going on a date with my husband tonight, going back up to the cabin tomorrow (to chop wood), and listening to conference this weekend.
Comments
Mom