Table Makeover

Today was a project day.  I bought this cute ottoman/table from my sister in law last night.  I love how sturdy it is and the size is great.  But it needed some love.  The leather top was cracked and splitting at the seams, and the dark wood was just a little too heavy for me.  




First, off came the top.  Then a coat of primer. {I'm lazy and don't really sand much, if at all}  Then I started in with the spray paint.  I didn't want a bright pure white, so I went with a pretty ivory color.  It was an outdoor grade spray paint, so I was assured by the experts at The Home Depot that it would be durable.



Next up was reupholstering the top.  I went to Joann's this morning in search of a great fabric.  I was originally thinking of using a graphic print that would be really fun, but after looking at my options, {and considering how I tend to change things up}, I decided to go with this gorgeous charcoal gray.  The only problem was, it was a red tag fabric and there wasn't much on the bolt.  But I decided to risk it - I mean for $8 a yard, I could afford to take a chance on it not fitting.  I could always make pillows, right? {and by "I", I mean Amy}

By some small miracle, when I got the fabric home, it was EXACTLY the right size to do the job.  I had about 3 inches to cut off from 2 sides when I was finished.

 I tore off the backing to reveal the tufting threads, and removed those.


Then I started stapling like mad.  Here is one of the corners.  Pretty tight, right?  


I have to say, I am SO proud of how it turned out!  The top is nice and tight and smooth, the corners are tight and neat, and the gray is awesome.


Just check out this fabric combo!  The floral is a fabric that I was thinking of using originally, but realized that the light background would get dirty SO fast, and I really didn't want to have to do this again any time soon.  But it will make some nice pillows.  And the beauty of it is, the pillows will look great in ANY room of my house!  Up or down.  For that matter, the table will too.  But I don't think THAT will be moving any time soon.


Here it is in it's finished glory! {ok, truth is, I still have to screw the top back on... so not totally finished} Please excuse the mess in the background.



One last look from the other side:



It's love.

Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
Karen, you kill me with your creativity! I love what you've done with this table. I'm just so, so jealous of all the things you do. I wish I had this talent. When I make some more money (prob never), I'll hire you to do my decorating :)
pan x 8 said…
It totally is just love. Great work my dear friend!