New Additions...

Twins.  Bookcases.  

We had some friends give us these bookcases that they didn't need anymore, and they have been living in the garage for a couple of months waiting for a spot in the house.   Well, yesterday, for John's day off, we cleaned out the garage (again) so that we can be ready for the upcoming Draw Collar season.  The time had come to get the bookcases out of the garage and into the house.

Of course, this meant moving all sorts of furniture around and finding a home for them.  One thing this house lacks is wall space.  I have all sorts of weird angles and odd corners.  Not many options for bookshelves.  So, ultimately, I decided that either side of the window in the upstairs family room area would be the best place for them to go.

I got them into place, and before I put things on them, I was sitting at the table looking at the arrangement, and I was SO frustrated with my UGLY blue couch.  I don't have a budget for a slipcover right now, and I don't have any big throw blankets - so the typical solutions were out.  My sister suggested trying some different colored pillows to see if that would make a difference to the color of the couch (subdue it or make it worse).  Then I remembered that I had pulled this 5 yards of fabric out of the yard sale/DI pile thinking that I could make pillows with it.  I tossed it over the couch to see what it would look like, and after some tucking and cutting, I decided that even though it isn't perfect {by ANY stretch of the imagination}, it was 1000 times better than that ugly blue.

before

After

I'm not sure how it will hold up to the constant up and down and lounging of my kids, but I hesitate to do anything permanent with this fabric, especially since it doesn't fit perfectly.  So I'll probably end up saving my pennies to buy a slipcover and then use the fabric for some awesome pillows.  

Here are the bookcases.




I am not in love with the styling of them, but I'm holding off doing more until I pull out my fall stuff.  I can't remember what I have, and I have been getting some ideas from Pinterest for some pretty and neutral fall decorations, so I am looking forward to figuring that out.

I'm so ready for fall.  I am tired of the heat.  I loved that little crisp snap we had those days with the thunderstorms.  I'm excited for sweater and scarf weather.  I am looking forward to soups and changing leaves.  To cozy blankets and fuzzy socks.  I just love it all.

So, more changes will be coming, I am sure.  Hopefully I can figure out how to get the look I'm after.  So far, it's falling a little short.  I'll just keep plugging away at it though.  

happy weekend!

Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
I don't care what it is, you just make everything look good. Maybe I'll have you come make a fall porch design or something. I need to do something in/with my house and I just have NO time.