You know how sometimes you start feeling all anxious, and need something to change, so you wander from room to room thinking of the possibilities? I'm not the only one, right?
This summer marks the 10th year that we've lived in this house. I can't believe it. We moved here the year Bryson started kindergarten, and he is going into the 10th grade - at Alta! Craziness. This is the longest I've lived in the same house IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! No wonder I'm feeling the urge for change!
I've never really made it a secret that I'm pretty dissatisfied with my house. The kitchen, the lack of storage, the small rooms, and most of all, NO MASTER BATHROOM! I've toyed around with some different ideas, but never was able to get John on board with making major changes.
But for whatever reason, {possibly my complete emotional instability as of late} John thought that right now would be a good time to move things around, and create a master suite.
The most logical choice was to take over the basement bedrooms.
Here's what we did:
Everything had to be moved out. It is all currently living in my downstairs family room.
Which, I actually don't have a picture of... wow. bad blogger.
So anyway, on Saturday, we decided to plan on making the switch on Thursday (John's day off). He {mistakenly} thought that we could get it done in one day. In retrospect, I think I was so excited to get a master suite, that I believed him.
So, Mon.-Wed., I spent hauling EVERYTHING out of the kids' bedrooms. So. Much. Stuff! And I should mention, that we were planning on participating in a yard sale at my in-laws tomorrow {the verdict is still out on that - especially since we may have rain}, so I was also gathering items for the sale.
Wednesday night after John got home from work we started the demolition.
We got so much done that night! I was very impressed.
I'm going to digress for a minute and talk about John. I am so grateful that he knows how to do all of these construction jobs! Electrical, framing, sheetrock... there's not much that he can't do. It's very sexy that he knows how to do all of this.
So Thursday morning, we got started. And here's how much we got done.
So, yeah, one day was a bit optimistic, but really when I see the amount of work we got done... I think it would take many DIYers weeks to get as much done. One thing I'm most impressed about is the fact that we were able to hang 12 footer sheetrock on the ceiling on our own! Just me, John, Bryson and Megan. John whipped up this little contraption to help us hold up those HUGE sheets. It was like slapstick comedy at times, but we got it up - and it actually fit together PERFECTLY!
This summer marks the 10th year that we've lived in this house. I can't believe it. We moved here the year Bryson started kindergarten, and he is going into the 10th grade - at Alta! Craziness. This is the longest I've lived in the same house IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! No wonder I'm feeling the urge for change!
I've never really made it a secret that I'm pretty dissatisfied with my house. The kitchen, the lack of storage, the small rooms, and most of all, NO MASTER BATHROOM! I've toyed around with some different ideas, but never was able to get John on board with making major changes.
But for whatever reason, {possibly my complete emotional instability as of late} John thought that right now would be a good time to move things around, and create a master suite.
The most logical choice was to take over the basement bedrooms.
Here's what we did:
Everything had to be moved out. It is all currently living in my downstairs family room.
Which, I actually don't have a picture of... wow. bad blogger.
So anyway, on Saturday, we decided to plan on making the switch on Thursday (John's day off). He {mistakenly} thought that we could get it done in one day. In retrospect, I think I was so excited to get a master suite, that I believed him.
So, Mon.-Wed., I spent hauling EVERYTHING out of the kids' bedrooms. So. Much. Stuff! And I should mention, that we were planning on participating in a yard sale at my in-laws tomorrow {the verdict is still out on that - especially since we may have rain}, so I was also gathering items for the sale.
Wednesday night after John got home from work we started the demolition.
We got so much done that night! I was very impressed.
I'm going to digress for a minute and talk about John. I am so grateful that he knows how to do all of these construction jobs! Electrical, framing, sheetrock... there's not much that he can't do. It's very sexy that he knows how to do all of this.
So Thursday morning, we got started. And here's how much we got done.
So, yeah, one day was a bit optimistic, but really when I see the amount of work we got done... I think it would take many DIYers weeks to get as much done. One thing I'm most impressed about is the fact that we were able to hang 12 footer sheetrock on the ceiling on our own! Just me, John, Bryson and Megan. John whipped up this little contraption to help us hold up those HUGE sheets. It was like slapstick comedy at times, but we got it up - and it actually fit together PERFECTLY!
So, who knows how long it will be before we can shift everyone around - but I know that in the end it will be so totally worth it! In the meantime, here's how we're living.
The mattresses get hauled into the back bedroom (formerly Sophie's room and Max's future room) every morning. Hopefully we get this wrapped up soon. More details will follow, as they occur, including a breakdown of our expenses. You will be so impressed!
I'm so excited for these changes! I'm so grateful for a husband that is willing to work so hard on a project for me! And I'm grateful for kids who are willing to put up with such massive inconveniences!
I love my family.



Comments