Yesterday in the car I was listening to Matt Townsend on the radio and he was talking about the influence of fathers and asked the question, "What did your father/grandfather/uncle/etc teach you?"
And all I could think was, "He taught me to love avocados."
There was a year when I was about 11 that we lived in Reno, NV (you're all insanely jealous, I know). But that year, my dad tried to be consistent in taking us on individual dates. I remember going to someplace like Sizzler with him and he had avocados on his salad. He gave me a taste, and I was sold. So good! Somehow, I clearly remember that moment, and it is a treasured memory to me.
Now, obviously, this is not the ONLY thing my dad taught me in my life, but it does make me think about the impact that he has had on my life.
I can't drive southbound on Wasatch Blvd at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon (where the 7-11 is) without hearing my dad's voice in my head saying, "Now, you want to be in the left lane, because 9 times out of 10, the guy in front of you will be turning in to the 7-11 and you'll have to slow down..."
He taught me about service and sacrifice. My dad was a great skier. But as I was growing up, the times he went skiing were so few and far between because he was always working hard to support our family or building our next house (after an already full day's work).
He taught me about the Priesthood. There was a time when my mom was really, really sick. My dad gave her a blessing every. single. day. Every year, my dad would give us blessings on the first day of school. And I knew that I could go to him at any time and he would give me a beautiful blessing.
The list could go on and on, but I just wanted my dad to know how much of an impact he has had on my life.
I love you so much, dad. And I am so grateful for all of the lessons you taught me throughout my life... both big and small.
And all I could think was, "He taught me to love avocados."
There was a year when I was about 11 that we lived in Reno, NV (you're all insanely jealous, I know). But that year, my dad tried to be consistent in taking us on individual dates. I remember going to someplace like Sizzler with him and he had avocados on his salad. He gave me a taste, and I was sold. So good! Somehow, I clearly remember that moment, and it is a treasured memory to me.
Now, obviously, this is not the ONLY thing my dad taught me in my life, but it does make me think about the impact that he has had on my life.
I can't drive southbound on Wasatch Blvd at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon (where the 7-11 is) without hearing my dad's voice in my head saying, "Now, you want to be in the left lane, because 9 times out of 10, the guy in front of you will be turning in to the 7-11 and you'll have to slow down..."
He taught me about service and sacrifice. My dad was a great skier. But as I was growing up, the times he went skiing were so few and far between because he was always working hard to support our family or building our next house (after an already full day's work).
He taught me about the Priesthood. There was a time when my mom was really, really sick. My dad gave her a blessing every. single. day. Every year, my dad would give us blessings on the first day of school. And I knew that I could go to him at any time and he would give me a beautiful blessing.
The list could go on and on, but I just wanted my dad to know how much of an impact he has had on my life.
I love you so much, dad. And I am so grateful for all of the lessons you taught me throughout my life... both big and small.
Comments