Bear with me on this post. It was a busy
So, somehow, it was suggested to the Stake Relief Society Presidency that I should be in charge of the refreshments for our Stake RS Meeting last night. I was surprised, but agreed to do it on the condition that I could get the ladies in my ward to help... We were told to plan on 200-250 people (we ended up with about 1/2 of that).
I wracked my brain trying to come up with decorations and food that would be easy and good. I started thinking about going with the whole "birthday celebration" thing - complete with balloon centerpieces, but then when I went back to the emails, I saw the theme was called "Experiment Upon My Words". And I knew that I could make this even easier on myself by using some of my book page decorations and adding just a couple of things.
I made the pennant out of an old simplified hymn book I had picked up at the D.I. I printed out the word "experiment" using a thick font and in the size I needed to fit on the pennants. Then I simply cut out the letters and glued them on. I punched 2 holes in the top of each pennant and strung them onto some jute twine that I have. I was super happy with the way it turned out -- I'm thinking of doing something similar when we redecorate Megan's bedroom for her birthday this summer.
I picked up the ranunculus flowers at Home Depot (so cheap!) and got the 49cent pots from Ikea. I then just wrapped the pots with more music pages and tied them with the twine again. I brought books for height and my book pears to add more texture.
We served frozen fruit with french vanilla coffee mate creamer (sounds weird, but tastes divine!) and I had sisters from my ward make different flavors of brownies. I should have taken a couple more pictures and gotten some of the fruit thing - but I got a little busy with keeping the water filled...
It was a great fireside/meeting, and I am glad that I was given the opportunity to serve - because if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't have gone if I hadn't been in charge of the food.
Earlier yesterday, I had been asked to substitute teach in Relief Society in our ward. The lesson was on the Priesthood. I felt like it went really well, and I was pleasantly surprised when the Stake President (in his remarks last night) confirmed some of the things I had taught. He asked us as women to please ask our husbands/sons/fathers to place their hands on our heads to give us a priesthood blessing. The men need opportunities to exercise their priesthood. They will become better men by having these experiences.
Speaking of becoming better men...
On Saturday, we had the opportunity to participate in Shaine's baptism. John met Shaine over 3 years ago, and it's a long story filled with ups and downs (lots of them), but it happened! Finally!
I think the final impetus for this change in Shaine was the passing of his father-in-law. And the change we have seen in him (in his very countenance) has been amazing. I am so excited for him, his family and John.
So, still backtracking, Wednesday-Friday was filled with basketball tournaments, dance practices, hair appointments, Draw Collar building, scouts, young women's, preparing for yesterday.... No wonder I don't want to do anything today! Or this week!
In the midst of the craziness last week, little things like laundry, cleaning, dishes got put off. So instead of curling up with a book or taking a nap like I really, really want to... I will be catching up on the house stuff.
You're jealous, aren't you.
No?
Well, here's something to make you jealous...
Cute, right?? He rarely smiles like that in pictures, so I had to post it...
Love you babe!
Comments
love you, Mom
xoxo,
Amy
Ang is right, when it rains, it alway seems to pour with us!