Monkey See, Monkey Do (at least I hope so...)

Today I was out with my mom, and I had a sobering thought.

I need to be a better example to my kids.

We always hear that our actions speak way louder than our words; and that we can lecture until we are blue in the face, but until we practice what we preach, we may as well not be saying a word...  And the saying isn't monkey hear monkey do.  Those darn monkeys need to see before they can do.

Well, I have realized that by constantly giving up on losing weight, I am sending the wrong message to my kids.  I am teaching them that it's okay to give up when it's hard.  That if you think you really want that candy bar at that moment, then just give in, because sacrificing a momentary want for something you want more isn't really worth it.

I don't know why this has never really occurred to me.  My kids (especially my older kids) know that I am not happy with my current size.  They know that I have started on countless diets.  They also know that I have given up and given in time after time after time.



I'm constantly telling them that sometimes to get what you want, you have to sacrifice other things that will keep you from getting there.   And that life is about choices.  And that if they aren't happy, there is only one person who can change that.

hm.  Hypocrite, much?

I don't say any of this out of cruelty or to beat myself up about it.  Like I said.  It was just a specific thought and strong impression that came to me today.

So now, my responsibility is to do something about it.

I've been talking the talk for a long time.  Now it is time for me to walk the walk.  Because really, I can't talk myself to where I want to go, but I can get there if I start walking.

Knowing that my success or failure impacts more than just me, might be just the motivation I need to make this work.

(and while this post specifically mentions weight, all of this applies to so many more areas in my life!  I think that every time my kids see me accomplish a goal, or at least giving my goals an honest effort, it will impact their lives in ways that I can't even imagine)




Comments