![]() |
| image via |
I read this quote a couple of days ago, and I can't begin to tell you how much it has been on my mind.
I have become a little obsessed about it.
It was in an article in a parenting magazine about raising the next Steve Jobs. The whole article was thought provoking and made reference to many people who have made a giant impact in the world, and mentions some of the quirky things about them - that eventually became amazing strengths.
I think as parents, and especially as mothers, we want our kids to be "normal". To fit in. To have friends and to be socially accepted. To be at or above average academically.
As shallow and embarrassing as it may be to admit, sometimes I find myself wincing when one of my children does something that might be perceived as "different". Or when they aren't as quick as their cousin at something. Or just when they do something that has the potential to open the door for them to be treated unkindly by others.
When really, my ONLY concern and worry that I should have is if I am helping my children to discover the amazingness that is within them.
Because once my kids get a glimpse of who and what they truly are... nothing else matters. Not someone being mean, not being a little slower at school, not being cut from a team...
That's not to say that these things don't hurt. Because they do and they will. But when the hard things happen and the mean things are said, my kids would not be as damaged by them as they could be without that knowledge.
I need to help my kids to uncover their strengths. Is one a fish who excels at swimming? Another a bird who can fly? A stealthy lion? A persistent turtle? Just what is their special gift?
My fear is that I haven't helped them find their strengths. My relief is knowing that it is not too late.
I know that if I approach this prayerfully, and study it out for myself, I will receive the answers that I need. Because my Heavenly Father wants me to be a good mother. He wants me to be what my kids need. He will not sit back and leave me to figure it all out on my own.
This is not about trying to be a perfect mother. It's not about trying to raise perfect kids. It is about waking up every single day and trying to do better. It's about seeking guidance from the Spirit and then acting upon the answers we get. I believe that as mothers we are entitled to clear communication from the Lord about our children when it really matters and when we ask for it. Even if sometimes the answer is "you just have to trust me", I believe the answers do come.
I'm counting on that.

Comments