This Year is Different

Christmas is almost here.  I haven't really done anything magical yet, but strangely, I don't feel guilty - or like my kids are deprived...  Which is actually pretty remarkable.  A friend of mine wrote a blog post last year that was called "Some Years are Different".  That has so resonated with me this year.

It's okay that we haven't done an advent.  And it's okay that we didn't go caroling.  And it's okay that we didn't do gingerbread houses, or craft our hearts out, or have party after party...  And funny enough, it's still a magical, exciting season for my kids.  Every day they rush to change the number on our countdown to Christmas blocks.  I think Christmas for children (at least while they are on the younger side) is inherently magical.  It doesn't have to come from the elaborately planned events or meticulously crafted decor.  It can come from drinking hot chocolate together.  From shopping for each other's gifts.  From listening to Christmas music...  The simple things.

Some years I have done more planning, made more effort...

This year I haven't.

But the magic is still here.

Thank goodness.

Comments