I'm not the only one who feels like now that Halloween is over, the holidays are upon us -- am I?
It doesn't help that this morning we woke up to rain-turning-to-snow. We went from trick-or-treating without jackets to digging out the parkas in a matter of hours! And unfortunately I did not get my leaves raked up, so they will be a gross soggy mess if and when I ever get the chance to do it. boo.
The kids had a great time at their grandparent's house last night (although bryson bailed to hang out with friends). Sophie was way into the trick-or-treating. She skipped from one house to the next. Many of the houses had scary people wandering or poised to jump out at the kids, but she marched right past them and collected her loot. I think she could have gone all night. Max on the other hand, was done after a dozen houses. Poor kid. He doesn't really have much stamina.
Megan scored the most treats. There were a couple of homes in this neighborhood that go ALL out for Halloween - zombies roaming the yard, strobe lights, creepy decorations (one even had a chainsaw wielding devil creature). The zombie house would break out into a choreographed dance every 30 minutes or so - very cool. But anyway, I think they figured that not many people would be brave enough to go through all of that to get candy, so they rewarded those brave hearted souls with full sized candy bars.
Megan hatched a plan. She and John and some of our friends went up to the house, Megan would go to the door, get her candy bar, race back to John and change up her costume and head back up. I think she did it 6 times. Yes, it's cheating, but she didn't care. And the people totally knew what she was doing. They did finally cut her off though. But yeah, she's loaded.
And I'm not sure where she hid her bag... But don't you worry, I'll find it. :)
So the Halloween decorations are coming down today. And Thanksgiving ones are going up in their place. I'm totally having mixed feelings about the Holidays this year. On the one hand, I'm super excited and ready to get into the spirit of it all... and on the other hand, it all seems like so much work and stress.
In an attempt to focus more on the spirit of the season and have a joyful attitude, I am going to try an experiment. For the month of November, I will post every day. Somehow it will be related to feeling the joy of the holidays. I will call it... 30 days of... JOY. Yeah, that sounds pretty good.
30 days of JOY. (ok, I've decided joy is one of those words that the more you use it, the weirder it starts to sound and look... kind of like fork.)
buuut anyways, my hope is that this experiment will help me (and maybe anyone reading) to overcome that tendency to become burdened by the season, and let the joy lighten my heart.
(& i promise not to overuse the word JOY :) )
Cheers!
It doesn't help that this morning we woke up to rain-turning-to-snow. We went from trick-or-treating without jackets to digging out the parkas in a matter of hours! And unfortunately I did not get my leaves raked up, so they will be a gross soggy mess if and when I ever get the chance to do it. boo.
The kids had a great time at their grandparent's house last night (although bryson bailed to hang out with friends). Sophie was way into the trick-or-treating. She skipped from one house to the next. Many of the houses had scary people wandering or poised to jump out at the kids, but she marched right past them and collected her loot. I think she could have gone all night. Max on the other hand, was done after a dozen houses. Poor kid. He doesn't really have much stamina.
Megan scored the most treats. There were a couple of homes in this neighborhood that go ALL out for Halloween - zombies roaming the yard, strobe lights, creepy decorations (one even had a chainsaw wielding devil creature). The zombie house would break out into a choreographed dance every 30 minutes or so - very cool. But anyway, I think they figured that not many people would be brave enough to go through all of that to get candy, so they rewarded those brave hearted souls with full sized candy bars.
Megan hatched a plan. She and John and some of our friends went up to the house, Megan would go to the door, get her candy bar, race back to John and change up her costume and head back up. I think she did it 6 times. Yes, it's cheating, but she didn't care. And the people totally knew what she was doing. They did finally cut her off though. But yeah, she's loaded.
And I'm not sure where she hid her bag... But don't you worry, I'll find it. :)
So the Halloween decorations are coming down today. And Thanksgiving ones are going up in their place. I'm totally having mixed feelings about the Holidays this year. On the one hand, I'm super excited and ready to get into the spirit of it all... and on the other hand, it all seems like so much work and stress.
In an attempt to focus more on the spirit of the season and have a joyful attitude, I am going to try an experiment. For the month of November, I will post every day. Somehow it will be related to feeling the joy of the holidays. I will call it... 30 days of... JOY. Yeah, that sounds pretty good.
30 days of JOY. (ok, I've decided joy is one of those words that the more you use it, the weirder it starts to sound and look... kind of like fork.)
buuut anyways, my hope is that this experiment will help me (and maybe anyone reading) to overcome that tendency to become burdened by the season, and let the joy lighten my heart.
(& i promise not to overuse the word JOY :) )
Cheers!
Comments
Taking down Halloween today too and thinking if I decor early in the holidays it will be more fun to enjoy! There goes that word "joy" again! lol