Have you ever found yourself drawn to a certain look or style, but when it comes time to actually implement it, it doesn't feel like you?
For example, I love this particular fashion blog - the girl is darling, and she has such a fun sense of style, but I know that I could not pull it off, because it is not ME? Not just that I don't dare, but that it is not in line with my authentic self.
I'm not expressing this very well.
I had a conversation with a dear friend today - we were working on a project for a Christmas decoration. She was talking about a woman she had seen at the fabric store - very stylish, hip - and she found herself thinking along these lines: "oh, that would be so cool to dress like that" or "she looks so great - I'd love to look/dress like her" (I'm totally paraphrasing as well as imposing the thoughts that I would have in that situation)
It's like when I see in a magazine a Christmas photo spread that has cool pink and turquoise decorations - very fresh and unexpected - And I think, "That would be so great to try! I love that!"
But when it comes down to it, if my friend dressed in a way that felt foreign to her nature or if I decorated a room in my home like that - It would not FEEL right.
So why, then, do I find myself drawn to these images? These looks?
I think I may have found at least part of the answer to those questions.
What I think it boils down to, is I am drawn in by the confidence of that person/designer who dared to do something unexpected simply because doing it (or wearing it) felt true to their nature.
That confidence is powerful. It says, "this is me. this represents who I am. I am not afraid of the opinions of others. this is what I love and therefore I will embrace it."
Who doesn't want to feel like that?
Granted, there are those who are so confident in their own style or choices, that they can become condescending to other's choices - but that's not what I'm talking about.
I want to feel - and I want others to feel - that confidence. To be able to say - This is me. This is my style. This is what I love. I appreciate other's tastes, but I am comfortable in my own as well.
There is definitely room for pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone once in a while. Take me with wearing scarves, for example. The first scarf I bought was purple with white splotchy looking blobs through it. It's cuter than it sounds :). I would wear that scarf on a date with John, and within an hour it would be in my bag because I thought people were looking at me funny.
But I really wanted to be the type of person who wore scarves. So I wore it more, and longer, and now, I own about a dozen scarves and I love them!
So, yes, I was uncomfortable at first, but it didn't feel WRONG, if you know what I mean.
However, if I tried to copy this fashion blogger's vintage/thrift style (which looks amazing on her!) I think it would feel wrong. Because that is not who I really am.
So, my point in all of this is that I am trying to get to the place where I can really understand who I am, what I love, and then be brave enough to embrace it. And I'd love it if I can find some way to help others do the same.
So if you love the look of that blue and pink Christmas and think that you should try it, but your heart is more of a scandinavian country Christmas, be true to yourself, be confident in your own style. People will appreciate being able to see the REAL you.
(she said to herself ruefully)
p.s. it's totally hard to put myself out there, but I am offering my services (for hire) to help people decorate their homes for Christmas. See my new page at the top of this blog for details.
For example, I love this particular fashion blog - the girl is darling, and she has such a fun sense of style, but I know that I could not pull it off, because it is not ME? Not just that I don't dare, but that it is not in line with my authentic self.
![]() |
| Click on photo to link to blog |
I'm not expressing this very well.
I had a conversation with a dear friend today - we were working on a project for a Christmas decoration. She was talking about a woman she had seen at the fabric store - very stylish, hip - and she found herself thinking along these lines: "oh, that would be so cool to dress like that" or "she looks so great - I'd love to look/dress like her" (I'm totally paraphrasing as well as imposing the thoughts that I would have in that situation)
It's like when I see in a magazine a Christmas photo spread that has cool pink and turquoise decorations - very fresh and unexpected - And I think, "That would be so great to try! I love that!"
![]() |
| click on photo to link to source |
But when it comes down to it, if my friend dressed in a way that felt foreign to her nature or if I decorated a room in my home like that - It would not FEEL right.
So why, then, do I find myself drawn to these images? These looks?
I think I may have found at least part of the answer to those questions.
What I think it boils down to, is I am drawn in by the confidence of that person/designer who dared to do something unexpected simply because doing it (or wearing it) felt true to their nature.
That confidence is powerful. It says, "this is me. this represents who I am. I am not afraid of the opinions of others. this is what I love and therefore I will embrace it."
Who doesn't want to feel like that?
Granted, there are those who are so confident in their own style or choices, that they can become condescending to other's choices - but that's not what I'm talking about.
I want to feel - and I want others to feel - that confidence. To be able to say - This is me. This is my style. This is what I love. I appreciate other's tastes, but I am comfortable in my own as well.
There is definitely room for pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone once in a while. Take me with wearing scarves, for example. The first scarf I bought was purple with white splotchy looking blobs through it. It's cuter than it sounds :). I would wear that scarf on a date with John, and within an hour it would be in my bag because I thought people were looking at me funny.
But I really wanted to be the type of person who wore scarves. So I wore it more, and longer, and now, I own about a dozen scarves and I love them!
So, yes, I was uncomfortable at first, but it didn't feel WRONG, if you know what I mean.
However, if I tried to copy this fashion blogger's vintage/thrift style (which looks amazing on her!) I think it would feel wrong. Because that is not who I really am.
So, my point in all of this is that I am trying to get to the place where I can really understand who I am, what I love, and then be brave enough to embrace it. And I'd love it if I can find some way to help others do the same.
So if you love the look of that blue and pink Christmas and think that you should try it, but your heart is more of a scandinavian country Christmas, be true to yourself, be confident in your own style. People will appreciate being able to see the REAL you.
(she said to herself ruefully)
p.s. it's totally hard to put myself out there, but I am offering my services (for hire) to help people decorate their homes for Christmas. See my new page at the top of this blog for details.


Comments