Day 6 - The Present(s)

The clocks turned back last night.  Getting that extra hour of sleep sure felt good this morning, but when it got dark at 5, I was not loving it.  It's that time of year when I hardly ever leave the house when it's dark - so basically I turn into a hermit.  I think that has to be my very least favorite thing about winter.  That lack of light.

I had a conversation with a woman today at church that went along the lines of how fast time is going and that we have to choose to be "present" and in the moment.  I think that is one of my biggest frustrations with the holiday season is that I want so badly to make those memories and keep up those traditions, yet the actual doing and planning of those things keep me from enjoying the moment that I'm in because I am constantly looking ahead to that next thing.

Which ends up making the time go by that much faster.

I can't believe it is time to plan the holiday stuff for myself and my family.  I'm watching my calendar fill up, and I worry that sometimes I'm missing the point.  I get so wrapped up in the gifts and events, that I lose sight of the "why" behind it all.

It's sad to me to realize that I have probably conditioned my kids to feel like Christmas is only good if they get the presents they wanted or based on the amount of presents they get.  I wish desperately that I had adopted my friend's 3 gift idea when she told me about it years ago.  (gift of wonder - gold, gift of meaning - red, gift of usefulness - green).  But it's never too late, right?

So this year I am committed to being present, and to put more meaning in my presents.

Comments