I had a great day yesterday. I had my cute kids wishing me happy birthday all over the place, and phone calls and Facebook messages aplenty. I felt very loved.
My awesome mom took me to lunch and we did a little shopping (I didn't really find anything super fun).
After the kiddos got home from school, they all just played and goofed around until John got home. He brought in a strangely shaped box and it had "Oreck Vacuum" on the return address label. He said that it's just part of the present and the rest was in the back of the truck. I seriously thought I was getting a new vacuum. And while part of me was ecstatic (i loathe my current vacuum), part of me was a little let down.
Megan was totally confused, she had gone to pick out the present with John the night before, and when he brought that in, she thought he had changed his mind and was very disappointed.
Anyways, I opened it up, and it was an iPod touch! I am super excited! It has to be hands down one of THE best gifts John has given me. Now I just have to learn how to use it. Since I don't have a smart phone, this will all be new to me. I'm spending way too much time browsing the app store - so suggestions for the best (preferably free) apps would be great.
So, I turned 37. Ugh. That just sounds so old to me! I don't know quite how to be 37. That's creeping up on 40! I'm not nearly mature or "together" enough to be this old. :)
I have been thinking about the goal thing. I still haven't come up with a full 37 things to set as my goals, but I have come up with a few.
~ Build a wardrobe that I love. I am absolutely SICK of looking into my closet and feeling like I have nothing to wear. I have clothes in there, but nothing that makes me feel stylish and confident. So, my goal is to adopt the mentality of quality and fit over quantity and bargains. If that means I only have 4 shirts and 2 pair of jeans, then so be it. At least I will know that I can put any of it on and feel great.
~ RUN a 5K. I have many friends who are serious runners, and so a 5K doesn't sound all that ambitious, but I am so NOT a runner. I haven't even been faithful about walking or doing any type of working out for a while now. So setting the goal to run a 5K by my next birthday is a goal that I feel like I can work toward. I don't have an interest in doing long runs, or many races, but I would love to be able to run a few miles every day to get a good workout in.
~ Learn how to take better pictures. Even with my crappy camera. Eventually I would LOVE to get a DSLR(?) camera, but until I have an extra grand in the budget, that's not going to happen. So in the meantime, I think that by learning how to use editing software, I can improve my photos significantly.
~ Learn to play a song on the piano that is NOT in the hymn book. I took lessons from 8-11, and never did get very good. But I have loved to mess around on the piano ever since, and since I now have a real piano (thanks guys!!), I can manage to play several hymns. So while I will still keep messing around with those, I also want to learn how to play something that is different.
So, those are a sampling of the goals I have set so far. Nothing earth shattering or even life-changing, but I am excited to feel like I am progressing and accomplishing things that I have been wanting to do for a while.
It's going to be a great year.
My awesome mom took me to lunch and we did a little shopping (I didn't really find anything super fun).
After the kiddos got home from school, they all just played and goofed around until John got home. He brought in a strangely shaped box and it had "Oreck Vacuum" on the return address label. He said that it's just part of the present and the rest was in the back of the truck. I seriously thought I was getting a new vacuum. And while part of me was ecstatic (i loathe my current vacuum), part of me was a little let down.
Megan was totally confused, she had gone to pick out the present with John the night before, and when he brought that in, she thought he had changed his mind and was very disappointed.
Anyways, I opened it up, and it was an iPod touch! I am super excited! It has to be hands down one of THE best gifts John has given me. Now I just have to learn how to use it. Since I don't have a smart phone, this will all be new to me. I'm spending way too much time browsing the app store - so suggestions for the best (preferably free) apps would be great.
So, I turned 37. Ugh. That just sounds so old to me! I don't know quite how to be 37. That's creeping up on 40! I'm not nearly mature or "together" enough to be this old. :)
I have been thinking about the goal thing. I still haven't come up with a full 37 things to set as my goals, but I have come up with a few.
~ Build a wardrobe that I love. I am absolutely SICK of looking into my closet and feeling like I have nothing to wear. I have clothes in there, but nothing that makes me feel stylish and confident. So, my goal is to adopt the mentality of quality and fit over quantity and bargains. If that means I only have 4 shirts and 2 pair of jeans, then so be it. At least I will know that I can put any of it on and feel great.
~ RUN a 5K. I have many friends who are serious runners, and so a 5K doesn't sound all that ambitious, but I am so NOT a runner. I haven't even been faithful about walking or doing any type of working out for a while now. So setting the goal to run a 5K by my next birthday is a goal that I feel like I can work toward. I don't have an interest in doing long runs, or many races, but I would love to be able to run a few miles every day to get a good workout in.
~ Learn how to take better pictures. Even with my crappy camera. Eventually I would LOVE to get a DSLR(?) camera, but until I have an extra grand in the budget, that's not going to happen. So in the meantime, I think that by learning how to use editing software, I can improve my photos significantly.
~ Learn to play a song on the piano that is NOT in the hymn book. I took lessons from 8-11, and never did get very good. But I have loved to mess around on the piano ever since, and since I now have a real piano (thanks guys!!), I can manage to play several hymns. So while I will still keep messing around with those, I also want to learn how to play something that is different.
So, those are a sampling of the goals I have set so far. Nothing earth shattering or even life-changing, but I am excited to feel like I am progressing and accomplishing things that I have been wanting to do for a while.
It's going to be a great year.
Comments
Number 2-Pioneer Woman's blog (google it) has a fantastic photography section. There's so much information that she explains in layman's terms for us newbies. She also has a Photoshop section that can make all the difference in the world for even a crappy camera's pictures. What kind of camera do you have? There might be some settings that can be changed to enhance what you have. Personally, I don't think you need a thousand bucks for a DSLR. I have one of the cheaper Nikon bodies (D40), I think I paid $600 at the time, and it's way cheaper now. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new models have, but every class I've taken and lots of books I've read give the same advice. If you are on a budget, then get the less expensive body and save your money for extra lenses. That's where the good pictures come from. I'm happy to give suggestions for what I know (which isn't much, mind you).
Sorry for the novel-length comment. Good luck with everything!! You will do great!