Bad Hair Day

So, I haven't had my "hair did" for a while now.  In fact, the last time someone other than myself took scissors to my hair was clear back in December - and I haven't had the color done since March 2010!  And it's been fine.  It had been cut well, so it has been growing out well.  All I've had to do was trim my bangs.

But suddenly, over the course of the last 2 weeks or so, it has become a hot mess.  It is unruly and looking dull and won't lie flat.  I'm planning on having my sis-in-law do it tomorrow (I think), and I can't wait.

It's crazy how feeling unkempt and frumpy can wreck my whole day!

On my ride with John this morning though, I was thinking about how crappy I felt I looked, and how fat I've become.  And I thought about how badly I would feel if my appearance made John love me less, or treat me differently.  Then the thought occurred to me - "Then why do I allow myself to treat me so badly and talk so cruelly simply because I don't like my size or clothes or hair?"

It's not right.  Recently I left a comment on a friend's blog about how it's probably much easier to do something (like exercise or eat better) when it is done out of love for ourselves, rather than as a punishment.  It's better to say "I will go on a walk because I feel better and it clears my mind"  than to say "I have to go walking because I'm so fat and hate my body."

Don't you think?

So I am going to try and be kinder to myself.  I will treat myself with respect and love.  And I will not allow the voices in my head to be cruel.  It wouldn't be okay for someone else to talk to me that way - why is it okay for me to do it?

It's not.  So I'm going to stop.  Or try to anyway.

In the meantime, I was going through pictures with my kids and I was amazed by how many different ways I have had my hair!  Here's a little peak:


Quite a mix.  Can't wait to have another change tomorrow! :)

Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
And yet, you still always look cute! In regards to the being kinder to yourself, I find when I'm unkind to myself in my head, it makes me have a quick temper, so if I'm nice to myself, I'm also nicer to my family, which I know they appreciate. :)
Emily K. said…
Great advice. We are always harder on ourselves but it's never good to think such destructive things. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!! I took a close look at every picture and seriously, you look amazing all the time. Have I ever told you when I've talked about you to others, they know you as my "gorgeous friend"? Seriously, whenever I'm talking about girls night you are introduced as the beautiful, creative friend.
pan x 8 said…
No seriously... I absolutely love your hair because you are always doing something fun with it. I love the new twist on an old mantra we carry... After what I've been going through this last month, I'm so much more grateful for my body and instead of being "upset" at what it has become, I'm "excited" to take better care of it and myself. We just never know when we my lose what we have, you know?

Can't wait to see the new doo, even though Thurs night I was loving that your hair was getting longer! lol See? You never know what's on the other side looking at you? Because all I see is beauty, creativity, and trying to be better for you. I love all those pics, though... I think I've seen you through lots of those!