Generations of Fathers


I was blessed to have an amazing father.  "Amazing" doesn't do him justice.  He is the ultimate example of selflessness.  I have never heard him say no if it was in his power to say yes.  He gives and serves and loves in countless ways.  He is a quiet man.  One that would be easy to overlook, were it not for his stature.  I've said it before, but my dad IS the most Christ-like person that I know.  And I am grateful and incredibly blessed  to have been raised by such a man.


I married a man who possesses many of the qualities of my dad.  Humor, service, compassion, love.  But one quality that is unique to John is his ability to make instant connections.  He is not afraid to get in there and talk to people.  His is an example of missionary service and love.  He genuinely loves people, and he serves diligently.  I have been blessed to have the opportunity to watch him become so much more than (I think) he ever dreamed.  He is a loving father to our children, and a perfect companion to me.  I will be forever grateful that our spirits found each other early in this life.


My Grandpa Lynn.  When I was growing up, he was a teaser.  He could tease us to tears.  But we loved him passionately.  His devotion to the gospel was a shining example for us to follow.  Grandpa taught tried to teach us how to take care of things.  He had a place for everything.  I love him dearly and I am so grateful that my children will have been able to have so many memories of their great-grandpa.


Grandpa Chris.  Such a hard worker.  In construction his whole life, he was big and strong.  He loved my grandma so much, and set that example for his son (my dad).  He cut mats and made frames for her art as long as he could.  Watching him miss her now is heartbreaking, but knowing the depth of his love for her is a touching example.


The "other" father in my life is John's dad.  I remember John telling me when I was at the airport when he got home from his mission, after his dad hugged him last, he whispered in my John's ear to get over and give me a hug.  I am grateful that he was willing to share his son with me.   No one knows how to tell a story like John's dad.  They get bigger and better with every retelling.  His return to the gospel and his subsequent service has been inspiring.  His willingness to sacrifice to serve the Lord has set an example for my John, and I am grateful.  I am so blessed to have such a man as a father in law.



Happy Father's Day to these bigger-than-life men who have influenced my life and my childrens' lives.  I am thankful every day for your love, your guidance and your lives.  
I love you all!




(But I love you most of all!)


Happy Father's Day!

Comments

Muriel said…
What a sweet post. Thank you for sharing. And look at your dad! He looks great! Just like I remember him.
pan x 8 said…
What a beautiful tribute to the great men in your life! What a great legacy your boys come from!