The Great Debate



Home schooling.  When I pictured homeschooled kids (and their moms), it has always been an image of polygamist looking families.  The kids were awkward, the mothers plain.  There seemed to be this "out of touch" aura about them.

For sure I never even thought about home schooling.  First of all, I'm not that patient.  Second, I don't feel like a home schooler (even if on occasion I look like one, lol).   And I have been looking forward to having my youngest starting kindergarten in the fall.  Ahhh...  3 whole hours a day with no one to answer to but myself.  Can you imagine?   I have been looking forward to this stage of life for 14 years!  (you know I'm kidding, right?  I haven't really wished away my children's childhoods - at least not every day!)

So why am I even considering the possibility of rocking my world by making this huge shift???  I know, those of you who really know me, are thinking my blog has been hijacked.  But I really am thinking about doing this.  I don't know why the change of heart - so bear with me if I use this post as a sort of dumping ground for my thoughts on this.

Several months ago, my sister in law took her 15 yr old and 13 yr old out of school and began home schooling them.   When they came to visit a month ago, we were talking about how it's been going.  The kids love it.  Michelle (the 15 yr old) does her core subjects at home, and goes to the high school for electives and sports.  We had the chance to spend some time with Jake, and asked him about being taught at home, and his responses were positive.  Enthusiastic even.  They use an approach to learning that I thought sounded really interesting.  Lots of reading, math on a computer program, more reading, some writing...  but as they read a book, for example A Tale of Two Cities, then for history, they can study the French Revolution.  Geography, they can study about the region.  Writing, obviously, report on the story.   For them, one subject seems to lead to another.  They can get into so much more depth than they can at school.  And they are really loving this process.

Their mother also reported that there was a closeness that these two siblings are forming that had been lost for a time.  Since Bryson and I had these conversations with Jake, he has been asking me if I had been thinking about it...  yes, I have...

Fast forward to now.  I have another sister in law that is planning to take her kids out of school and home school them as well.  So of course, it makes my kids wonder if we are going to do it too.

And I'm still considering.  This post is getting really long.  Are you still with me?

I've checked out a bunch of books at the library.  I'm reading a few blogs of home school moms.  I'm praying.

I still don't know.  My kids are doing ok academically.  And socially they are fine.  And having Sophie at school today, has only added to my confusion - because let's be honest.  It's really nice to have some alone time!  But there is something in my heart that is tugging me towards this change.

On one hand, I think there's a little bit of guilt.  I have admittedly been something of a lazy mom.  I haven't taught my kids some essential lessons about work and service.  Having a more flexible schedule would allow me to incorporate some of those lessons without adding to the craziness that is our afternoons.

Another reason I feel like it might not be a bad idea is that I don't see my kids really learning HOW to learn.  I see a lot of regurgitation of facts, I see learning facts for a test only to promptly forget them.  I don't see much reading.  I don't see any excitement about the information they are learning, and when they do get interested in a subject, it is over before they have had their fill.    And I have been surprised by the lack of writing required by my kids' schools.

It's not that I don't think my kids are getting an adequate education, and a huge part of my fear about this whole idea is that I may not provide a good enough education, but I do think that this is something worth considering for me.  For my family.

I think that's enough for now.  I'm sure in a few days, I'll be listing a whole bunch of reasons against home school.  What are some of your thoughts on this topic?

Comments

the green's said…
I wish I had it in me to home school. I think it would be great to go at the child's pace and be able to offer them so much more than what school has to offer. I just know that right now there is no way I could do it.
pan x 8 said…
Home schooling, huh? I had a cousin and a sister in law that home schooled and when they put their kids back in school, they were so behind! BUT... You have to look at who was doing it. It sounds like your sister in law really makes an outstanding effort and also works the program to benefit her children.

I always say that I would not do homeschool because I already have such a short fuse with my children anyway.. but seriously, if you are truly thinking about it - I love all your reasons for it. All good ones! You are so loving and want the best for your kids. I can't wait to see what you decide!

Good Luck!
Emily K. said…
I left you a whole, long comment and then it didn't work out. We should talk if you are really thinking about doing this. I think you would be great, and from what I hear it's not as hard as you would think. If you do it right, I think it can really work out well, I'm just not at a point to try it...yet :)
Joshua Jensen said…
I'm excited to hear what you decide. I like the home schooling in High School idea. I'm still toying with it myself, but I have a couple of years before I have to decide for sure.
Natalie said…
I have jokingly commented that I want to home school just so I can have more control over what my kids hear and see, and who their friends are. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the academic side - it is all about how bad things are getting "out there". When I mentioned this to my wise husband, he looked at me like I am crazy and responded that we can't shelter the kids forever. It is better to have them "out there" and teach them how to make correct decisions at an early age. But I have to trust in my ability to teach them that. Scary. Sorry to go off on that tangent, but I am interested to hear what you decide too. And I always feel that even if your kids are in school, there is a lot of room (but probably not time!) for you to infuse some knowledge of your own through family activities and such.