- The devastation in Japan. When I think about it, I really cannot believe that I worry about some of the petty things I get caught up in. It's impossible to fathom - complete villages washed away. Thousands of people gone. The brink of a nuclear disaster. It really makes me grateful that I have the life that I do, and that I know there's a Father in Heaven who is in charge of this whole mess we call life.
- The sudden loss of a dear friend's mother. My sweet little Elle is on her mission - she was one of the Laurels that I taught in church a few years back. She just got to Taiwan a few weeks ago, and her mother passed yesterday morning. I adore this girl. My heart aches for her and her family. Those whom I have spoken with after visiting the family, say that the kids are handling things very well. I'm sure it has to do with the strength of the relationship that they had with their mom. I know there will be really difficult times ahead for these kids, but it's wonderful that they have that strength to draw from when those hard times come. Again. So grateful for the peace of the gospel.
- As I dropped Sophie off at preschool today, the realization of this new stage of my life hit me hard. In a matter of months, she will start kindergarten, and I will be on the verge of having no kids at home all day - every day. It is a very bittersweet thought. Doesn't really rank up there with natural disaster and sudden deaths, but still, a powerful reminder of the speed at which time is passing.
And because even though there are really hard and sad things happening in the world, we cannot overlook all of the amazingly wonderful things.... So the last thing taking my breath away today is:
gorgeous, right??
This beautiful girl of mine!!! She started wearing makeup earlier this school year. She babysits regularly now and is making big $$. She will be 12 this summer and going to girl's camp and youth conference. She has had my mom tweeze/shape her eyebrows.
And last night, she shaved her legs for the first time! She did a much better job than I did my first time. I distinctly remember being in my mom's shower (in what we called "the solar home"). It was a huge walk in shower... I used my mom's razor, without permission, and proceeded to take off a whole strip of skin from my shin. The dang thing wouldn't stop bleeding!!!
Megan only nicked her ankle, Achilles tendon, and both knees. Not too shabby.
She is officially initiated into the club.
Welcome, daughter. Just like in all aspects of life, some things about this club are horrible, gross, and humiliating, but there are also things about it that are beautiful, sacred, and breath-taking... Like turning around and seeing that your own daughter is poised on the brink of young womanhood, and being so proud of her you almost can't bear it.
So, welcome.
Comments
love,
Amy