"Parents, remember that now is your opportunity; you may feel yourself harassed as you struggle through the days with an unruly child, but you are living the happiest and the most golden years of your life. As you tuck them into their beds at night, please be kind to them. Let them hear a kind voice amid all the angry, vile voices that they will hear throughout life. Let there be an anchor to which these little ones can turn when all else fails. The Lord help you so to do..."
-Harold B. Lee
I am not a great putter-to-bedder. Never have been. Some mothers I know make it all magical and have a routine that includes baths, lotion, story time, songs, "best thing" time, prayer... Not me. If my kids are lucky, I will say a quick prayer with them (when they're little) and give a hug. Most of the time, I kiss my hand and slap it onto their head for their goodnight kiss. I can't get out of there fast enough. I am so eager to be "done" being the mom for the night.
This quote stopped me in my tracks. And surprisingly enough, it wasn't in a "oh, i'm the worst mom EVER!" way. It was in a spirit-to-spirit kind of way. I was gently instructed to take notice. To change how I see this time I have with my kids. I must make sure that even in the midst of all of the turmoil in the world, my children know that I treasure them, and that there IS a safe place - and that place is home.
It's not even really about bedtime. It goes back to the control thing - I must control my actions, words, reactions and attitudes - so that home is safe. That I am a safe place.
I am so grateful that this quote
And just to be clear, I know that I'm not a bad mom. This is all about the fact that I know I can be a better mom.
I am so excited to begin this process of becoming.
Comments
love you!!
Amy
I'm glad you didn't beat yourself up, as we as women often do, but you found a growing moment. You are a great mom!
I love that you know there is always something we can be doing better than the better we are already doing and are inspired to keep going. Thank you for that uplift. It means a lot to me.