Real Life

Getting back into real life hasn't been the easiest.  I was so not ready for school, basketball, dance, scouts, activity days, cubs to start again.  But start again it has.

I know that many people have come up with their lists of RESOLUTIONS for 2011.  I haven't.  And it feels good.  The only thing that I have said is that I want to be better.  Which entails some serious self-reflection and resolve to make changes that will help me achieve that.  But it's entirely personal, and only I or the Lord will be able to judge it's progress.  Although, come to think of it, if I am accomplishing this broadly based goal, ideally, others WILL see a bit of difference in me.

One thing that I do want to do however, is tackle my house.  And by that I mean go through room by room, completely emptying it out, and reorganizing, purging, etc to make the most of my oh-so-limited space.  I plan to focus on 1 room per month for the whole year.  That way I can budget for organizational tools, time, and energy without getting too overwhelmed.  January is going to be my office.  Here's the part where I take a deep breath and show you the reality of THE OFFICE {dun,dun, duuun}.


Yes, that is a gas insert on the floor of the office.
There are just no words...
The closet.  OH, the closet!

I can't believe I'm showing you this...

See?  See how badly this room is functioning?  Ugh.  Painful.  I'll show the after once I have an after to show.

Anyways, when I originally started this post, I was intending to just show you all what Sophie came up with when left to her own devices with a piece of scrapbook paper and some scissors and a camera...


she looks so innocent...
Look at this.  I have no idea how she came up with this... but I love that she got the camera to document her creation.
I'm really grateful that THIS is what she did with the scissors instead of cutting her hair.  again.

Wow.  This post is getting really long.  I think I'll leave it at that.  So, to sum up: Real life = busy days, messy homes, funny kids, and room to improve.

2011 will be a good year.

Comments

Monika said…
You are rave brace brave to start with your office. That is always the first room that goes messy in my house (by my own accord and not due to children).
My ONLY resolution for 2011 is to ENJOY. Each day I want to take a moment and enjoy the things that realy matter. Hopefully I can do that around all those things we do all day every day, bu that is my goal!
Sophie's creation is awesome!
pan x 8 said…
What a great idea that is so do-able and makes everything kinda stay to its own time..

Good luck my friend, but I know with your touch it's not luck by much creativeness...

LOL @ Sophie taking her own pics! My kids just ask.. can you take a picture for your blog? hahaha!!!
You're going to do great things this year, I can feel it! Can't wait to see the room by room transformation!
xoxo,
Amy
Emily K. said…
Your office looks about the same as mine!

I love to purge and organize. Well, sometimes. Enjoy your projects, I think that's a great goal/idea to do one room at a time per month, I may have to steal that from you.
Natalie said…
Finally catching up on your blog... I am also in purge and organize mode. We eliminated our office over Christmas to move Isaac downstairs, but we couldn't get the closet cleaned out. Where am I suppose to put all that stuff? So he doesn't really have a closet. Oh well. Anyway, I am trying to do one room a week since I only have 8 weeks left of life as I know it! ;) But just know that you are an inspiration because every time I think that we just can't fit anymore, I think "If Karen can fit with 4 older kids, I can do this with 3 littler kids." Right?
Joshua Jensen said…
We are trying to purge too. O.K. it's really taken us like 2 years, but every time we "finish" we have to start over again, and we've moved kids rooms, etc. But it will all work! You amaze me at how well you can organize things in small spaces. A talent I wish I had.