It's Over Already!?

 So, I think I've had a chance to catch my breath now, and can quickly post a little about our Christmas.

Our tradition is to have Christmas Eve with my family, and Christmas Day with John's.  It's worked out really well, and I am so grateful that I have parents (both my own and in-laws) who support us in keeping things simple!

Anyways, this year, Christmas Eve was going to be at my brother's new home.  It's big and has lots of room, plus an unfinished basement where the kids could go nuts.  We're a big crowd, with 14 adults, and 19 grandkids.

At the very last minute, the flu struck his family, and they were unable to host.  So, change of plans - it was here.  Luckily, I had cleaned my house the day before, and was pretty prepared to have the whole group over.

Here's what it looked like:

After dinner there were games for the kids...

 and presents.  Lots of presents.  Including the annual pajama gift from grandma and grandpa... (I'm hoping a sibling will email a picture of that)
 It was really a lot of fun.  Even if a little crowded, hot, and noisy...

We start that party early (4pm), so that we can get done at a reasonable time, and let the kiddos go to bed.  This year was the very first time I had all of the presents wrapped before Christmas Eve, and I HIGHLY recommend it.  It was wonderful to just snuggle on the couch with John after the kids were in bed, and just put presents out when it was safe.  We were in bed by 12.  It was fabulous.


We heard the kids around 6, but they stayed downstairs until we got up at about 6:45 (notice the shelf thing we laid across the stairs...)

Here's what it looked like before they came up:


Sophie loved her fur real doggy.



Max and Bryson were happy about their gifts too.


Megan finally got her rollerblades.  


Our big family gift this year was an xbox 360 plus a Kinect.  We have been having tons of fun with that.  The kids love the adventure game, and Megan is cruising through all of the songs on Dance Central.  It's pretty cool.

All in all, a very nice day.  I didn't get anything done on my list from my last post except for taking the kids shopping for each other, but that's ok.  It's interesting how much of a panic we get ourselves worked up into, and then when it's all said and done, it turns out that it didn't really matter after all.

I have learned a few things though that will seriously impact my goals for 2011.  I want to find ways to teach my kids gratitude, humility, and responsibility.  My hope is that soon we can focus less on the STUFF, and more on the things that really matter.

I hope that all of my friends and family had a fun-tastic holiday, and that the new year brings joy to your lives.

Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
Glad you had a great Christmas! I'm totally taking the wrap early idea. It took us forever this year! I agree with the "worry less about STUFF". I hope next year to focus more on teaching my kids responsibility and building character.
pan x 8 said…
Merry Christmas Karen! I'm glad you were able to pinch hit there! I wrapped 80% of Christmas early this year too - loved it!

and... I know right? about the calm before the storm... i love taking in that view before I lay me down to sleep on Christmas eve... look at those smiles!