Now that Halloween is over, I find myself really looking forward to the holidays. I'm not ready for the financial stress that they bring, but I am really ready for the feelings that this season invokes.
Last night for FHE, we listed some activities that the kids would like to do during the holiday season. They included things like lights at Temple Square, ice-skating, a movie... But as I've been thinking about it this morning, I felt a little discouraged. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much we do, or how much we give, my children always want more. I have not taught them how to cultivate gratitude in their lives.
I don't know how I missed that.
At times I feel overwhelmed by all of the things that I have not taught my children. And with Bryson almost 14 (!!), it's easy for me to feel discouraged, and give up. To feel like I'm too late, and that I've missed my chance.
Thankfully, in church on Sunday I was reminded that "failure in the home" (from the famous 'no success in life can compensate for failure in the home' quote of Pres. McKay) only occurs when WE GIVE UP.
I think the Lord knew that I would struggle with some of the key parts of raising strong children, so he sent me remarkably inherently strong children who would be able to overcome that deficit. So, that's good. It's not too late. I can still teach my children good things.
But with that said, how DO I help my children learn gratitude? Not a rhetorical question, by the way. What are some things that you have done, or currently do to help encourage this trait?
I'm looking forward to a month dedicated to Thanksgiving. And with a grateful heart, I will count my many blessings, and hopefully, help my children to count theirs too.

P.S. Look at the sidebar - I'm going to be in a boutique with my sister and sister-in-law!! I'm excited and nervous at the same time.
Comments
Also, I think I forget my children are really just children and their gratitude in whatever little way they have, IS gratitude and to use that as their foundation to build more. I too worry so much and want to just give up sometimes (like the past few days!) so thank you sweet friend for inspiring me to not give up and to try anyway (even if to me, it feels like a lost cause!)
I can't wait to come to the boutique!
Thank you for sharing about your lesson learned Sunday, it's too true so I will remember to not give up no matter how discouraged I get :)