One Year Older...

.....and wiser too??

I don't think so.

To be honest, my birthday was kinda lame. I'm over it now, but for a couple of days there, I was feeling pretty picked on. Mostly because I was feeling like a bit of a failure.

I truly always thought that by the time I was in my mid 30's I would be set. I would be confident in myself and my life...

The truth is, I'm completely faking it.

I feel as lame and awkward as I ever did in high school. I am insecure about my looks, my weight, my talents... I rarely feel like I'm doing my best as a mother. I still struggle with the basics of being a grown up (i.e. budgeting, family prayer and scriptures, consistent rules and consequences for the kids). I don't have a good sense of myself and my style. Short hair? Long hair? Modern/traditional/eclectic/cottage??? Tailored/boho/vintage/lazy?? What or who am I? Why don't I own it?

My desire is to discover who I am. Accept and love my physical being, understand and define my sense of style - and then own it. I can appreciate other styles while being true to myself. But to be true to me, I have to KNOW me. I want to improve those things that can be improved, and let go of the rest. If I want to be a better mother, I must DO what it takes to become that. If having a greater spirit in my family is important, then I must do those things that will allow that to happen.

I must choose to act, and not be acted upon.

This is my privilege. To choose the life I want.

this year, I choose to become me.

Comments

Cindy said…
You always amaze me! I wish that I had half your sense of style...and ability to beautify the things around me. I LOVE coming to your house because it always speaks that style that just radiates around you. My birthday wish for you is that you will feel confident this year that you are doing an AMAZING job...we are all just plugging along and doing our best...some days are good, some days are horrible, but most of the time we are also just faking it....and those who look like they have it most together are probably faking it more than the rest of us. It is going to be an AMAZING year for you guys...I can feel it!
pan x 8 said…
I love that you admit that you are faking it because so do I. I think we all do while waiting for the real moments but then I think that the "faking" brings on the real moments. Does that make sense?

I say make your own mold instead of finding one that fits you. You my dear are such an inspiration in my life and I thank you for being your real you even when it's not lined with glitter and glam.

Moments are what we celebrate and whether we have 2 dozen moments in one day or maybe just 1 in one day - that moment is worth all the times we question ourselves or doubt ourselves.

You are a beautiful woman and I count myself fortunate to call you my good friend.

Love you girl!