Reassure Me **edited

Today Bryson called me from school to tell me that a 9th grader stabbed his arm with a mechanical pencil. And the skin around it was swelling.

I asked what the people in the office were doing about getting that kid in there, and he said NOTHING!!!!!

That was it.

Now, this is the first time this boy has done anything to Bryson, and it was a very bad reaction/decision on his part to a stupid thing (bryson had taken his folder off his desk to hand it to the boy behind him who had asked for it). But I couldn't believe the office was doing nothing!

Even though this is the first time Bryson's had a problem with THIS kid, he HAS been having chronic problems with this other boy in the same class since last year. The other boy (the chronic bully) has been shoving Bryson in the hall, crushing his hand, yanking on the neck of his shirt... those types of things. Bryson has endured this in silence. Not telling the kid off, not shoving him back, nothing. He just comes home and tells me about what happens every now and then.

But when he called me... I lost it. I went up to the school and spoke to the guidance counselor about these problems.

We decided that yes, he should take action against these boys. A severe warning and apology for the 9th grader, and a no contact order for the other boy. This means he's not supposed to talk to Bryson or touch him.

I am sick.

I am so worried that there will be friends of these boys that will start in on Bryson. I am heartbroken that he didn't feel like he could stand up for himself, and I am terrified that this is going to make it worse.

I know that we couldn't just let it continue. I know that. And part of me wishes Bryson would have just hauled off and leveled this kid. I know that's wrong too.

But I just need to know that I did the right thing.

I will be glad when tomorrow is over and he's back home. I'll be sick to my stomach until then.

Jr. High Sucks.


**happy to say that today went fine at school for bryson. Thanks for all the reassurances. WHEW!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monika said…
You totally did the right thing! You are his advocate. Nobody should have to put up with that stuff day in and day out. Remember we all survived Jr. High, although it sounds like going through it as a parent might be harder. :(. I am proud of Bryson for being so calm and patient. David is very good at standing up for himself, so much so that he is usually the one who lands in trouble. Patience is a good thing. Good luck!
Liz said…
You so did the right thing....in this day and age, you cannot tolerate bulllying in any way. Sadly, no one does anything about it unless you are the squeaky wheel. Good for you!
pan x 8 said…
Of course you did. I see your fears.. because I share them. Bryson is such a great kid and he will survive Jr. High. Oh, I hate Jr. High! YOU, my dear, will survive Jr. High.
Cindy said…
oooooohhh Karen, That just makes me sick! I really can't believe that someone somewhere made those kids think that what they were doing is o.k.....I just don't get it! Even more I can't believe that ANYONE would want to pick on Bryson! He is the sweetest cutest boy I've ever met. He is so thoughtful and considerate and handsome....this makes me fear for my own kids! You absolutely did the right thing....I hope nothing like this ever happens to him, or any of our kids, again!
Joshua Jensen said…
Where is the teacher? Did they not see what happened? I hate mean kids. I mean I know kids are mean, but seriously. You did the right thing.
Emily K. said…
This parenthood thing is so dang hard, especially when it comes to these situations. I'm sorry this happened, but it sounds like you did the right thing. Keep us posted!