Maine

I got to join John on a trip to Maine for Draw Collar stuff. It was the first time in at least 2 years that we've left the kids overnight, and one of about 3 times in our whole marriage!!! It was a little getaway that was LOOOOOOOOONG overdue.

We caught the red-eye on Sunday night from SLC, and flew into NYC, had a 2 hour layover, and then on to Portland, ME. From the airport, we headed straight to Jotul (a fireplace mfg) for a dealer meeting. It was "wicked" hot and muggy! My clothes LITERALLY stuck to me. We set up, had lunch, then John got a chance to talk to the store owners. He kept it really short, but tons of people came up to us after and we spent a good couple of hours talking shop. Then it was time for the lobster bake. Wow. I did try a little, not super impressed, but John enjoyed it. (although he did say it was a lot of work for a tiny bit of meat)

Then we finally got to go to our hotel around 8:30 or 9. It was located in/near Old Port in town. We crashed that night fairly early, but the next day we spent sightseeing. Walking, walking, walking. We did take the car to find a few lighthouses and beaches, but mostly we wandered around town. When we couldn't walk another step, we took in a movie (Knight and Day). And then back to wandering.

Wednesday morning, we wandered around just a little more, and then headed to the airport.
We spent a couple of hours there before taking off for Chicago where we expected a 5 hour layover. That turned into 6 hours, but we finally left there and landed 9pm UT time. It was a grueling day of travel, but we survived it.

It was great to see the kids, and to have them be so excited to see us. I am so grateful to wonderful sisters and a great friend who were willing to take my kiddos so I could go on this trip. I had a fantastic time.

here are a few of my favorite shots {{a very few, we took over 200 pictures all told}}

beautiful weather vane!










view across the street from our hotel











red hot dogs?!


fresh maine lobster












drawbridge up~




most photographed lighthouse in maine...











crescent beach














too many hours in airport











home at last


Comments

pan x 8 said…
WoW Karen!! I'm so jeeeaaalllooouuusss!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Liz said…
I've always wanted to go there, I'm glad you guys had so much fun!!
Emily K. said…
I'm still in shock that you tried lobster ;)

Loooovvvee the East Coast and every thing about it. Sounds like you had a much deserved get-away.