Our Greatest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson

You wouldn't think that finding your passion and yourself would be such a scary thing. But it is. I am scared. Equally scared of succeeding as of failing. At whatever I choose to attempt.

I had an amazing talk with my sister yesterday, and it has affected me deeply. I think I have been looking at my weight (and attempts to lose it) as a distraction from the things that are really lacking in me.

I know that there are things that I am supposed to be doing with my life, and I think that I have been using my weight to mask them. As in, "if I am not happy with my life, it must be because I am overweight" kind of thinking.

When in reality, I am not fully happy because I am not living up to the measure of my creation.

I have been lazy.

That is really what it comes down to.

So, I am shifting my focus. I am going to look away from my weight (and all the negative voices that come with that) and look towards developing the skills that will help me become the person I want to be inside. And maybe as I become more satisfied with myself, the weight thing will take care of itself. But even if it doesn't, by discovering my potential, maybe I will be better equipped to focus back on the weight when that time comes.

There are many things that I will be judged by, and I guess I'm finally realizing that my jean size isn't going to condemn me to a lower kingdom. (at least, i hope not. and if it is, then it should really be clearly stated somewhere...)


Comments

Joshua Jensen said…
Funny. I have been thinking this exact thing. I found this website:
http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/7-questions-to-finding-your-true-passion/
I think the questions they present really make you think. And I realized I was giving the same answers, so obviously, that should tell me what I like to do. Good luck!
Cindy said…
love it:)...(love your blog background too....I still need to get out of Christmas!)

I think as moms we really do need an outlet....lets face it if all everyone ever had to look forward to was a pile of never ending dirty dishes or laundry we would all need to be commited....and as a mom that is what it feels like most of the time. I know I sound like a broken record, but having the opportunity to pursue photography a little bit and going back to work has done so much for me. I know it's not for everyone, and I MAY stand at the judgement bar and be condemned for this decision, but by not pursuing it in this life I was condemning myself to my own personal hell. We are not meant to mearly "endure to the end" we are to find joy in the journey, and if we aren't we need to make those small pivotal changes to find that joy....

....p.s.....totally agree on the jean size thing:)
Emily K. said…
What do I say to that? So many thoughts, but all I really think is that I love you and your a great friend.
Karen, my sweet sister. I hope that as you go on this journey you might not only find those things you would like to improve upon, but that you will discover in yourself what others already see, and that is that you are AMAZING!
I love you!
pan x 8 said…
You ARE amazing! To have a positive outlook as you are looking to better yourself! You love yourself and I love yourself too!!

You are such a great woman and inspiration.

Thank you.
pan x 8 said…
btw... your blog skin is super duper cute!

and LMBO at the jeans size!!!