The Dating Game





















(john fresh off the mission, and when the dating began!)


When I was a kid, my parents had a date every single weekend. We had a regular babysitter, and we just knew that on Friday or Saturday night, mom and dad would go out. Mom would have us fed and bathed and in p.j.s before 5 so all the sitter had to do was put us to bed.

When I got older and became the babysitter, my parents' date night preparations changed just a little. It involved a stop at the video store for at least 2 movies and a trip to the grocery store for treats. Once the treats got home, out came the baggies and we counted out the entire bag of Skittles and/or Starburts into 6 equal piles. No way could one of us have more than the other...

This was the pattern for as long as I can remember. I did not love babysitting, and I often resented that my parents went out every weekend.

But. I so appreciate the lessons that it taught me. I learned that my parents loved each other and actually enjoyed being alone together. I learned that reconnecting regularly as adults (not parents) is important to a marriage. And now as an adult, I recognize that my parents' dating habit enabled them to make the transition from a full house to an empty nest without too much trauma.

Since John and I got married, we have made a point of going out nearly every weekend (especially once we had kids). We used to have a regular sitter who just knew that every weekend we would use her, but now {{angels singing hallelujah in the background}} we have kids old enough to tend themselves. We make sure the kids have treats, and every weekend off we go!

I joke a lot about it, but honestly, I think it keeps me sane. To have the opportunity to not be "mom" once a week is very refreshing, and I don't think we could survive without it. Even when all we do is grab a bite to eat and go to the grocery store, we have fun just being together.

I am grateful for the example that I had of parents who dated. And I am also grateful for a husband who loves to date me, and that he so fully embraced the concept of dating in marriage. I know it will make a huge difference in our marriage as we transition through all of life's stages.

Comments

Emily K. said…
And THAT'S what they should put in the Ensign.
I've wished for a consisten date night often in my marriage, and we are getting better at it, but it definitely makes a happier wife, mother and person when you get that time together.
Cindy said…
Jay and I really need to learn a lesson from all of you regular daters!....it's a work in progress, but we'll get there.

....p.s. love the old pic. of you guys....so so so young:)
pan x 8 said…
You know I've always loved this about you! Since we've met we've been so much better at having a date night each week because really.. it keeps both of sane! I love that story about your Mom & Dad because it's a "truth be told" one!
Monika said…
Wow -- good for you guys, and what a great example your parents were. I had to laugh about going to the video store. It brought back memories of renting the VCR and saying if you wanted the movie in Beta or VHS.
Rebekah said…
It is really so great that you do that every week! You guys are awesome!
katie and co. said…
Great post! And that picture of you two is killing me! SO CUTE!