What Day of Christmas Is It, Anyway?

Yes, I've completely lost track of my days. However, I do know that we are down to 4 days until Christmas. And yes, at least one of my children has suddenly switched ideas on me. Until yesterday she was perfectly content - had no burning desires, so we made our plans. Now, she's declared her deepest wish in a logically organized letter to me and her dad.

If I was less than 100% confident before in my giving my kids a wonderful Christmas, I am even less confident now. She wants a ds-i. We cannot do the ds-i. If I do that for her, then we have no excuse for not doing the ipod touch for her brother. Honestly. This stage sucks. I miss the days when they couldn't care less what they got!!! Ugh. Looks like we're having an FHE on the True Meaning of Christmas...

Which brings me back to the Days of Christmas thing. I had an epiphany yesterday (thanks Janice for your awesome lesson) during sunday school. Janice made the comment that they have talked a lot about the reason for Christmas, and that it had made such a huge difference in their season - even though she didn't feel like she had done a lot of the "fun" Christmas activities. DING. I realized what I've missed. In my quest to make Christmas magic, I have forgotten the most magical thing of all - the opportunity to teach my children what Christmas REALLY means. I can do all the typical things like gingerbread houses and tv specials and look at the lights and shop - but unless those things are in addition to spiritual moments and experiences, they just don't cut it.

Thank goodness that lightbulb went off yesterday or I might have missed it completely! Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to do more fun activities, but at least now I can make sure that we won't miss out on the very best part of Christmas.

Comments

Liz said…
Thank you for the reminder. I need to be sure my kiddos remember why we have Christmas...they are really into the gifts this year.