Our December Relief Society Meeting turned out great. I totally meant to take my camera and get a few pictures of how gorgeous it all looked, but I forgot. Go figure. I cannot seem to keep it together lately. I bought two fleece blankets to take to our family service project - and I remember thinking as I put them somewhere that "this is a logical place for me to put these, and I won't lose them"... yeah, and then I'm frantically looking high and low for them minutes before the party was supposed to start. They still haven't turned up. No idea where they are. Frustrating...
Anyways, at our RS activity (and at church yesterday), we had a few people share their stories of becoming "converted to Christmas", and it was so nice. It was just what I needed to hear. I don't know what it is about Christmas, but it seems like it always catches me completely unprepared. I do not shop throughout the year, or even save to insure that we have enough $ to have a stress-free Christmas - so some years are more stress than others. I have always relied on the gifts that we buy our kids to bring them that magic of the season. Which really, if you think about it, is robbing them (and us) of a whole month's worth of opportunities to feel the spirit of the season. Even though buying presents causes stress and worry financially, it still is easier than taking the time and making the effort to go out and do those things that create the most magical memories of all. And I'm all about the easy way out... So it's always been a focus on the presents for me.
But this year things are going to be different. This year, I am going to make cookies with my kids. I am going to go out with them to spread a little love. I am going to brave the crowds and take them down town. I am going to read stories, and watch Christmas specials and make hot chocolate with them. I am going to embrace this opportunity to change the way I celebrate Christmas with my family. And even when circumstances change and our financial burdens become less oppressive, I hope to continue to simplify/reduce the gifts that are purchased, and to create meaningful and lasting traditions of time.
Anyways, at our RS activity (and at church yesterday), we had a few people share their stories of becoming "converted to Christmas", and it was so nice. It was just what I needed to hear. I don't know what it is about Christmas, but it seems like it always catches me completely unprepared. I do not shop throughout the year, or even save to insure that we have enough $ to have a stress-free Christmas - so some years are more stress than others. I have always relied on the gifts that we buy our kids to bring them that magic of the season. Which really, if you think about it, is robbing them (and us) of a whole month's worth of opportunities to feel the spirit of the season. Even though buying presents causes stress and worry financially, it still is easier than taking the time and making the effort to go out and do those things that create the most magical memories of all. And I'm all about the easy way out... So it's always been a focus on the presents for me.
But this year things are going to be different. This year, I am going to make cookies with my kids. I am going to go out with them to spread a little love. I am going to brave the crowds and take them down town. I am going to read stories, and watch Christmas specials and make hot chocolate with them. I am going to embrace this opportunity to change the way I celebrate Christmas with my family. And even when circumstances change and our financial burdens become less oppressive, I hope to continue to simplify/reduce the gifts that are purchased, and to create meaningful and lasting traditions of time.
Comments