2nd Day of Christmas

Last night we had that dinner at my grandparents house with nearly all my cousins which meant that I had to do something on my own for our 12 days activity. So, I decided to break out the gingerbread house that I bought at IKEA with my sister. We thought it was so cute, it had windows all cut out and everything. Plus, bargain! It was only $5...

The instructions something like: take a bunch of sugar and melt it until it's liquid. assemble house. use caution as you may burn yourself on this molten sugar.

Of course I'm paraphrasing, but in essence this is exactly what it said.

So. Instead of using boiling hot liquid sugar to assemble the house, I used my trusty hot glue gun. I figured, really - who eats the gingerbread pieces anyway?? It worked like a charm. It even withstood all 4 of my kids piling on 3 lbs of candy randomly onto the structure.




front view

back view





And the bargain aspect? Yeah. 1 pound of powdered sugar, 4 bags of candy later, it was significantly more expensive than just buying a kit where the frosting and candy are included. Live and learn...

But I still like the cut-out windows.


Today's activity??? Dunno. It'll have to be this afternoon again. I have another party tonight... Maybe watch a Christmas movie together. We'll have to see.

Comments

Emily K. said…
YOU ARE THE GREATEST! Man I wish I had thought of a hot glue gun when Caely made her gingerbread house. It slowly fell apart, and *gross* my kids ate the candy off, and some of the gingerbread.
Liz said…
I love IKEA and their cheap crap!! Looks great!
Liz said…
I always use the glue gun!
Cindy said…
Love the glue gun idea...my sister-in-law did it that way this year for haunted houses and I thought it was just brilliant!....so way to go brilliant lady!

The house turned out so cute! Way to go....love your 12 days of Christmas ideas!

....and leave it to IKEA not to include all of the parts....I don't know how many times I have brought something home from IKEA and I've been supprised that the screws or some other hardware is missing....and then I remember that's kinda what they do....nice!