A Start to the 12 Days of Christmas

Saturday was a fun/crazy/long day.


We had our 2nd annual Barn Party at my aunt's barn, where we had hot dogs, hot chocolate and wagon rides. We are sad because they are going to be selling the clydesdales, so there may not be another barn party... The kids loved playing on the hay bales and in the snow. The wind was a little biting this year, but the wagon ride was great anyway.



That went from about 1pm til 3 or so, and then it was off to get ready for my annual cookie bake with my mom and sisters (including sis-in-laws of course). We don't usually do it in the evening, but this year circumstances made it so. So off we went, picking up dinner on the way - the baking was to be done out at my sister's in-law's new home where there was a bigger kitchen and 2 convection ovens - but it was out in Eagle Mountain. And it was snowy. And I have crappy, crappy tires. After some tense moments trying to make the turn to get into the driveway, we gave up and parked on the side of the road. Amy's Jeff came and traded cars with us so that we didn't have to worry about getting down the driveway and out of the more rural subdivision...THANK YOU JEFF!

So we ate dinner quickly to soothe our nerves and then the cooking began. And we baked and baked and baked, baked, baked, baked!

6 batches of Smaskransas (pronounced smerkransas), 4 batches of gingersnaps and a quadruple batch of lovely dipped sugar cookies. And even a few pans of Oh Henry Bars... Thank goodness for those ovens! They let us cook 3 pans at a time which really saved us. I can't even imagine how late we would have been without them. As it was, by the time we cleaned up and white-knuckled it home, it was midnight! So tired. Plus, I'm fighting this stupid cold, so I felt doubly crappy.

In fact, all of us (except John, knock on wood) have that dumb cough and stuffy noses - so even though my kids have been going to school with it, I decided that we'd have a day home yesterday. We stayed in jammies, and watched movies and were basically lazy all day long. I did have all these grand plans to start a 12 Days of Christmas version of activities (we were going to either go carolling with the ward, or downtown to see the lights), but having a lazy day felt like a nice start to the countdown to Christmas.

So today is the 2nd Day of Christmas - I'm not really sure what we'll be doing. It will have to be something in the afternoon because tonight is a dinner that my grandparents do for all of us grandkids... I love this tradition, but this week my nights are packed to the gills!

Oh well. I'm just going to embrace it all - even the busy-ness.

Comments

Cindy said…
What a wonderful weekend!!!! I love the cookie bake idea and barn party!!! Just think of what your kids are going to talk about when they grow up and remember that wonderful tradition....and all of the others that you do!

I am totally coveting that kitchen!!! Two ovens....right now I'd just settle for two oven racks. I've been trying to kill my oven since we moved in....now I'm just hoping that it will stick around until after we sell!
pan x 8 said…
What an aweseome weekend!!! I love that barn party and am sad to see it go if it has to... scary scary driving in the snow in crappy tires - ask Charlie, he knows...

Okay... my saliva is running with all the yummy cookies. Thanks for making time for the girls in your busy schedule this week!!

YAAAYYYY!!
Liz said…
Yes you better enjoy tonight...not all of us get to be there!!! Have fun and tell everyone hi for me!!
Emily K. said…
How fun are you?! You really know how to ring in the holidays, and I'm so glad to be part of one of your crazy nights. Hope you're feeling better!
Märta Harr said…
Those Smurkransa look sooo delicious! Nothing like Christmas cookies to bring back beautiful childhood memories! I am grateful to share memories with you! Merry Christmas!