Strong Feelings **plus update


I remember when I was little, we went to my grandparent's house nearly every weekend. ALL of us. Aunts, uncles, cousins. Their yard was magical. Lilac and snowball bushes so old and big that we could clear out the dead wood and make rooms that were invisible from the outside. An apple tree with a tire swing that was perfect for climbing. Several other fruit trees, dueling swing sets and a creepy outbuilding added to the perfection for childhood play. There was even a drinking fountain outside (someday, I will have one of those...).

Every time it was time to leave their house, I would cry that I wanted to stay. OR, when I was a little older and more manipulative - I mean clever - I would somehow manage to convince both grandma and my mom that I should stay the night.

Only at grandma & grandpa's house was I allowed to sleep in. (the darkest room I have ever been in was in their basement. I don't think it even had windows. definitely not up to code...) There was no sense of time in that room. But no matter how late I slept (usually only till 8-9, but that was sleeping in to me!), when we went upstairs, breakfast was always being made. Not just cereal - a full on breakfast with toast and bacon and eggs... We were totally spoiled.

My grandma was the first person that I ever heard swear. I'm pretty sure it made me cry. She was startled by my then-uncle, and she said "dammit". Yeah, I know. Mouth like a sailor. Always so beautiful. Always so young. (I think it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realized that she must color her hair. Til then, I'd always bragged "yeah, my grandma's hair is still dark...") She was only 40 when I was born - so I have been so lucky to have had such an active, healthy, involved grandma.

My grandpa was the teaser. Tickled us until we couldn't breathe. Asked us things like, "What do you need?" and when we said 'nothing' he'd say, "Do you want it in a sack?" Or, "Are you happy?" and when we answered 'yes' he'd say, "Tell your face".
Grandpa has always been an example of hard work. I don't think I have ever seen him do anything less than 110%. He served many years in church leadership positions, and worked at the grueling job of a roofer. He was so brown from long hours in the sun, that my mom believed it when she was told (I think by her uncle - might have been her dad though) that she was part blackfoot indian.

Both of them have enjoyed excellent health for years. Recently though, my grandpa had a stroke. Not major, but scary. It has taken such a toll on him and my grandma. It is strange to think of them as getting older and being less capable of the physical demands that they have always been able to meet. I have become much more aware of their mortality - and I don't quite know how to be the kind of granddaughter that I should be.

My grandpa goes in for surgery on Friday. He has some blockage in his corotid arteries and it needs to be addressed. But before he goes in, I just wanted him and my grandma to know (not that I think they read this blog) how grateful I am for their example. I am so blessed to have had their influence in my life, and I am so thankful that my children have been able to know them too. I love them so much, and I hope that I can show that love better than I have recently.

What great lives they have led, and what great lessons they have taught me. I am so grateful for the support and encouragement that they have offered over the years. And as the physical body changes, and the seasons of life move forward, there are more lessons to be learned.

How grateful I am to know that I have a Heavenly Father who knows all of our needs and that He will never leave us alone. Life can seem scary in its uncertainty, but He is constant - and my bright shining hope.



**update: grandpa did great in surgery - he should be just fine! thanks for the prayers and thoughts in his behalf.

Comments

Emily K. said…
What a beautiful memory you paint. Your Grandparents sound amazing. Thanks for sharing those tender moments, and I might have to steal the "tell your face" from such a wise man. I wish him well in his surgery and will have you and your family in my prayers.
Cindy said…
I loved reading about your grandparents! I was totally the same about my grandma's hair.....I think I figured it out in like the last 5-10 years is all....sad huh! I loved those great "go to" things that your grandpa said....what a jokester! Ditto to Emily's wishing you all well....you are all in our prayers!
Monika said…
So glad the surgery went well!