Creating Fall


Oh, October~~ I'm so glad you are here! I welcome your cooler weather, your flavors of apples and spice, your lovely colorful foliage...

I do so love fall! I am so glad it's here! I dug out all my fall decorations yesterday, and placed them around my living room & kitchen. My sister has made some darling fabric pumpkins this year, and I can't wait to get my hands on a set! They will be the finishing touch on my mantle...

But in the meantime, I'll make do with things like this:


I find myself craving a creative outlet. I want to discover a talent. I have tried really hard not to be jealous of my sister and all of her artistic abilities - and of my sister-in-law Brianna - how would that be to discover such an amazing talent!?! Did I ever mention that she's only been doing cakes like that (previous post) since May of this year???? Mind boggling! I would love to stumble onto a gift like that.

There are so many great ideas out there for decorating, or creating great accessories - it is so easy to get caught up in all of the embellishments of life. Why do I care if I have perfectly placed pumpkins on my porch? Or creepily elegant decorations around my house for Halloween? I have no idea. But - a good friend posted a quote by David O. McKay on her blog recently, and I have stolen it for my sidebar - and I hope that even in my desire to create beauty around me in my house, that I won't forget to take care of those things that will make it a home.

Comments

Cindy said…
OH Happy Fall! I LOVE fall too! The crisp air, beautiful fall leaves, the return of "comfort foods", and EVERYTHING PUMPKIN!!!! I really need to get some more fall/halloween decorations....this weekend is a great time to dig them all out!

I echo your sentiment about Amy! She is so talented! And that is amazing that Brianna has only been doing cakes since May....what a gift! You know that you are hugely talented! Just look around your beautiful home and at all of the beautiful people in it and you can not deny your talents!
Monika said…
Love the quote. And . . . if you want to meet someone with no crafting skills come to my house. It was a huge stretch for me to even sign up for this "Super Saturday" in our ward, and the only reason I finally did was because Jen Camac pretty much told me I had to. I don't craft -- I can't even copy someone elses ideas. I feel like everyone is watching me and I will mess something up. Anyways -- sorry for the novel. You need to teach me how to make a cute table like you did for our lunch!
Emily K. said…
I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling your love for fall. It's cold, cold, cold and then WHAM! warm. It means kids in the house making messes and Christmas is right around the corner. UGH!
But you have brought out the desire for yummy smelling candles and fall decorations. You really have an artistic ability that we are jealous of.
pan x 8 said…
I love that realization about you wanting more.. (not in an envious way but a progression kind of way!) Your house is always so cute and I love love that quote!!