Gracious Me!

So many blogs that I have read recently have exhibited a quality of living that I really want to strive to emulate. A graciousness that allows them (as the mother) to make occasions special even if it isn't a traditionally "special occasion".

Like Back to School Dinner... One woman makes her children crowns and has a theme and a dinner using special dishes. Another friend of mine also does the dinner and decorations thing - just to let her kids know she loves them and wants them to have a great year in school.

Another mom I know really goes all out on St. Patrick's Day. Another, is a hostess that goes all out even just for a simple luncheon for a neighbor/friend's birthday.

Some moms throw spontaneous picnics, others take a surprise weekend vacation with the family, the list goes on and on.

I think far too often, I focus more on the energy I would have to expend for such an endeavor than I do on the memories that would be created by simple gestures of love... I do a pretty good job of TELLING my kids I love them, but I think I fall way short on the SHOWING them how much I love them - which I think (ultimately) is the more important. I don't want my kids growing up thinking "yeah, she SAID she loved me, but she never DID stuff with me..."

So - I (again) resolve to be better. To develop a habit of graciousness. To turn the small things into great memories.

Because when all is said and done, I want the people around me to know that they matter to me.

Comments

Emily K. said…
1st off, CUTE BLOG! Love the look!

2nd, I totally feel the same way about the effort out weighing the small gesture. It's SO much work, but a good balance of showing and telling go along way. Plus, I think you do a good job of showing your kids in other ways than planning a special dinner or mini holiday.
You are the best mom for your kids. They know you love them.
Linds said…
I agree with what you said and the above comment. Even though we don't throw random "party/celebration" dinners, doesn't mean our kids don't truly know we love them. But a balance is good and you will be surprised how much fun throwing a good party can be. Let's talk tomorrow I think I have a fun start for you...
pan x 8 said…
I love the new look ~ it's beautiful!

And traditions come in all shapes and sizes. I don't necessarily think they need to be big but I'm with you on making memories with the kids instead of just "servicing" them. You are great with your kids and you inspire me to really look into my kids and know what they're all about. They are open with you and if they're not having a good time.. they'll tell you! And so far as I can tell.. they are having a good time! ;p
Monika said…
You need to give yourself more credit! You just had a big family wedding with lots of memories and a trip to Bear Lake! Sounds like a fun family outing to me! Plus, I think your family cabin (even the cleaning and wood chopping parts I hear about on the way to school) are some great times!
Monika said…
And . . . (just thought of this!) I love driving by your house and seeing all your kids playing together outside. Whenever I pick David up from football, and your kids are out, it makes me smile.
pan x 8 said…
Karen I totally love those pics on your sidebar. Your family pic is so beautiful.. and the pic of you and John - I love! You look fabulous!
Hannah said…
moms are so hard on themselves. i think we all wish we did more, were more for our kids. but, i think we all probably deserve a little more credit then we give ourselves. just by perusing your blog a little, i get the feeling that you are a wonderful, fun mother.
Some things come easier to us than other things. But, you can become who you want to be. Just don't get too caught up in the details of trying to create someone else's life- find your own place to be. You are so creative and gracious in your own way- Don't worry that it's not the way someone else does it. Sit down and decide one, maybe two things you would like to add to your family history- then work on implementing that. You can add more later. That being said- you are more of a wonderful mother than you give yourself credit for. Love you!
Natalie said…
Karen - I totally agree with what Amy said and I think her comment perfectly sums up why I don't read a lot of blogs anymore. You shouldn't compare what you view as your weaknesses to someone else's strengths (which is what I TOTALLY struggle with) because I am sure you are amazing at many things that don't make it into your blog. This is all easier said than done, right?