Yesterday was Sophie's birthday. As well as my dad's 60th birthday. So, it was time for a party!
I asked John's talented sister to make us a cake with a fish theme because my dad LOVES to fly-fish...
A-Mazing, right???
The pictures do not even do it justice. This cake was the centerpiece of the dessert table. Awesome.
Unfortunately, I had forgotten to ask Brianna to make a small special cake for Sophie, so I attempted it myself.
I wanted to make a topsy-turvy cake (one that is narrow at the bottom - picture a Mad Hatter cake), and make it all cute and fun.
So I used 2 cake mixes, baked 3 round cakes, and cut off the rounded tops to make them level for layering - no big deal. But apparently, I had the angle of the knife too sharp, and when I cut the shape, the poor thing slid over and died. I had about 8 skewers in it to try to hold it up until I could get the fondant on, but it was no use.
THIS is what I ended up with - unusable cake chunks.



Anyways, she didn't know the difference. She had no idea that her cake WAS going to be much more whimsical or much bigger... But for a first attempt at a fancy cake - I thought it actually turned out just fine.
So, we couldn't have asked for better weather for my dad's party. It was a perfect fall afternoon and night. Everything looked wonderful. I got the job of picking out some pictures of my dad, and it was so fun going through the old photos and seeing him as a baby, boy, and teen. So handsome!!!

We had lots of dessert, and lots of fun. And we are so grateful to those who came to celebrate my amazing dad!
{unfortunately my camera died early in the evening, so I didn't get many more pictures... }
I asked John's talented sister to make us a cake with a fish theme because my dad LOVES to fly-fish...
This was the result:
The pictures do not even do it justice. This cake was the centerpiece of the dessert table. Awesome.
Unfortunately, I had forgotten to ask Brianna to make a small special cake for Sophie, so I attempted it myself.
I wanted to make a topsy-turvy cake (one that is narrow at the bottom - picture a Mad Hatter cake), and make it all cute and fun.
So I used 2 cake mixes, baked 3 round cakes, and cut off the rounded tops to make them level for layering - no big deal. But apparently, I had the angle of the knife too sharp, and when I cut the shape, the poor thing slid over and died. I had about 8 skewers in it to try to hold it up until I could get the fondant on, but it was no use.
THIS is what I ended up with - unusable cake chunks.
But wait!
there was ONE poor little rounded cake top that survived intact,
and so it became Sophie's cake:
there was ONE poor little rounded cake top that survived intact,
and so it became Sophie's cake:
Anyways, she didn't know the difference. She had no idea that her cake WAS going to be much more whimsical or much bigger... But for a first attempt at a fancy cake - I thought it actually turned out just fine.
So, we couldn't have asked for better weather for my dad's party. It was a perfect fall afternoon and night. Everything looked wonderful. I got the job of picking out some pictures of my dad, and it was so fun going through the old photos and seeing him as a baby, boy, and teen. So handsome!!!
We had lots of dessert, and lots of fun. And we are so grateful to those who came to celebrate my amazing dad!
{unfortunately my camera died early in the evening, so I didn't get many more pictures... }
Comments
The fish cake looks great but I don't know if I would eat it! The fish kinda gets to me.. hmmm.. anyway, this creative talent is so great in your family!!
I second Janice on the fish cake....looks awesome, but I don't know if I could eat it. Too life like!!! (kudos to the chef!!!)
At least you had you Diet Coke in the background of your pictures. Everything's a little better if we've got our diet coke--even if it's not going exactly how we'd hoped!