It seems like a lot of people whose blogs I read have been going through a change of sorts. They are questioning why they started up a blog in the first place, if they have lost their "voice" or originality...
I don't think that I'm necessarily having the same internal struggle, but I have wondered as of late if all of this blogging hasn't cheated me out of personal interaction.
I read my friends' blogs and feel like I've touched base with them. I know what is going on in their lives, sometimes I comment, and then I go on. It can turn into days/weeks/months that I go without making actual person-to-person contact.
Am I losing my ability for REAL friendship?
Am I forgetting the art of picking up the phone and having a genuine conversation with someone?
When I was younger, I lived for the phone. I could (& did) talk for hours with friends that I had seen just earlier that day. I often complain now that I don't like the phone because it takes too much effort - that it interrupts my day. But now I'm wondering why is that bad?? Why shouldn't I take a moment out of my day and connect with my friends?
I don't want to give up my blog - I'm enjoying this creative outlet - but I think I'm craving more human contact. And I don't want to give up looking at my favorite blogs - they inspire me too much - but I think I want to get on the phone and find out more.
I need to rediscover real relationships - go to lunch, the park, have people over...
I need to be a better friend.
I don't think that I'm necessarily having the same internal struggle, but I have wondered as of late if all of this blogging hasn't cheated me out of personal interaction.
I read my friends' blogs and feel like I've touched base with them. I know what is going on in their lives, sometimes I comment, and then I go on. It can turn into days/weeks/months that I go without making actual person-to-person contact.
Am I losing my ability for REAL friendship?
Am I forgetting the art of picking up the phone and having a genuine conversation with someone?
When I was younger, I lived for the phone. I could (& did) talk for hours with friends that I had seen just earlier that day. I often complain now that I don't like the phone because it takes too much effort - that it interrupts my day. But now I'm wondering why is that bad?? Why shouldn't I take a moment out of my day and connect with my friends?
I don't want to give up my blog - I'm enjoying this creative outlet - but I think I'm craving more human contact. And I don't want to give up looking at my favorite blogs - they inspire me too much - but I think I want to get on the phone and find out more.
I need to rediscover real relationships - go to lunch, the park, have people over...
I need to be a better friend.
Comments
Let's get real. Being a mom,it takes too long to talk on the phone to everyone who ever pops into your head.
I love the blog world to catch up quick and the comments let you know your friends know what's up with your life. It works! Plus you have an AWESOME girls night where you get to see me/us in real life :) And, the phone is always there when you need it!
I'll end my high horse now.
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,538-1-4830-1,00.html