Why I Love My 3 Year Old

Last night, I came into the bathroom wearing my oldest, rattiest, stretched out white t-shirt. I looked in the mirror and was feeling pretty gross when she looked at me from her bath and said,

"I like that shirt, mom."

I know, you're thinking 'why is she blogging about this? no big deal...' It's hard to explain how that little comment lightened my heart - even if for just a minute.

It reminded me that my kids don't really care if I have some weight to lose, or if I feel like my hair looks horrible, or even when my skin breaks out like a 14 year old. They just care if I love them and am there for them. They just want me to spend time with them. They just want a happy mom who(m?) they can count on and trust. Not a scary unpredictable mother who flies off the handle at the slightest provocation.

Quite a bit of introspection from such a simple comment by my sweet, beautiful, stubborn Sophie.

Comments

Cindy said…
I had a friend growing up whose mom was always really big....and a few years ago my friend said something to me that has kind of guided me through worrying about what other people think. She said that her mom never went swimming with her. She didn't care what her mom looked like....she just wanted her mom to play and have fun with her. But her mom's worries about her own size stopped her from just getting in the pool and having fun with her. I've vowed....no matter how grose I may look to other people....that I will always swim with my kids....cuz they won't remember how grose I was....they'll just remember that I did stuff with them. Don't know why I shared....but there you go.
Emily K. said…
That really hit home. Especially because yesterday was one of those "fly off the handle days". I too desire to be the mom my kids can count on and they love me no matter what. Thank goodness we have these babies to remind us what truly is important.
Annalyn said…
Thanks for that 'just suck it up' comment - I actually really needed it! You are always posting such inspiring things, even if they don't seem so to you! Thanks!!
Linds said…
hilariously smart, that one. oh and I was giving Brooke a talk about sharing and being nice when Sophie piped up and said, Jesus wants you to be nice. I said yes he does. Then she said, if you're not nice he'll send you to jail. Not sure what kind of doctrine you have going on in that ward up there, but someone needs to have a talk with the sunbeam teacher! hahahahahahahahahaha so funny!!!!
pan x 8 said…
So true! And I've learned that what my children and husband think of me is the most important! To them - you are their SuperMom in their definition and that's all that matters. You are all that matters!!

See? You can bring out the grossest thing in your closet and it's great to them!

Plus, you have great kids because you are a GREAT mom!!