Yes. It's 1:30 in the morning.
I am reflecting on a conversation I just had with my sweet youngest brother-in-law.
During this conversation he was full of admiration for the relationship that I have with his brother, and that all of his siblings have with their spouses. In his eyes, we graciously handle hardship, and we gently navigate this thing called marriage.
Poor kid. He has no idea that we are often ugly in our disappointments, bitter in our sorrows, and selfish in our words and actions.
And that's okay. It's all part of life.
Life is ugly, and dirty, and hard, and cruel, and unpredictable.
But it is also beautiful, and wondrous, and tender, and precious.
Especially when there is someone who shares equally in the journey - not necessarily equal in the i-did-this-now-you-do-that sort of way, but partners who lift each other up. A couple that is emotionally and spiritually committed to building a strong relationship and family can handle the ugly with the beautiful that inevitably comes into ALL of our lives.
No one is immune from hardship. Not me, not anyone. The trick is to find that person who can help you see the beauty in spite of it.
I am forever grateful for a partner whom I can trust with my heart, my soul, my strengths, and my weaknesses. Who patiently and lovingly accepts the whole package. Who I know loves me even when I make dumb choices.
Truth be told, our relationship isn't really all that even. He gives me more, and gives in to me more than I think I do for him. But just maybe it all evens out in the end.

**side note. it is now 2a.m. I am up with a crying daughter. Her nose hurts. (or something like that. she's beyond the point of being able to think rationally...) I miss her daddy.
this is what a fit looks like at 2 in the morning.
I am reflecting on a conversation I just had with my sweet youngest brother-in-law.
During this conversation he was full of admiration for the relationship that I have with his brother, and that all of his siblings have with their spouses. In his eyes, we graciously handle hardship, and we gently navigate this thing called marriage.
Poor kid. He has no idea that we are often ugly in our disappointments, bitter in our sorrows, and selfish in our words and actions.
And that's okay. It's all part of life.
Life is ugly, and dirty, and hard, and cruel, and unpredictable.
But it is also beautiful, and wondrous, and tender, and precious.
Especially when there is someone who shares equally in the journey - not necessarily equal in the i-did-this-now-you-do-that sort of way, but partners who lift each other up. A couple that is emotionally and spiritually committed to building a strong relationship and family can handle the ugly with the beautiful that inevitably comes into ALL of our lives.
No one is immune from hardship. Not me, not anyone. The trick is to find that person who can help you see the beauty in spite of it.
I am forever grateful for a partner whom I can trust with my heart, my soul, my strengths, and my weaknesses. Who patiently and lovingly accepts the whole package. Who I know loves me even when I make dumb choices.
Truth be told, our relationship isn't really all that even. He gives me more, and gives in to me more than I think I do for him. But just maybe it all evens out in the end.
**side note. it is now 2a.m. I am up with a crying daughter. Her nose hurts. (or something like that. she's beyond the point of being able to think rationally...) I miss her daddy.
this is what a fit looks like at 2 in the morning.
Comments
I just love how you write. You really know how to dig down deep and say the things I think, only better.
**side note, sorry about Sophie's nose.
I'm sorry Sophie's nose was hurting! It's especially hard for you! Hope you got some sleep in...
Beautiful post.