Letters on Mother's Day

Dear Mom,

Thank you for teaching me how to clean a house, feed a family, and how to be proud of my role as a mother.

Thank you for instilling in me a love of reading, a desire for beauty, and a love of flower gardens.

Thank you for showing me how to develop and nurture a testimony, how to build a strong marriage, and how to survive trials with faith intact.

If I could give you one thing, it would be the ability to see yourself through MY eyes - not blind to your faults and weaknesses, but with an awareness of the strengths and beauty that tempers those weaknesses. You would see, as I do, the remarkable, strong, beautiful, determined, faithful, valiant, virtuous woman that you are.




I am grateful for the mother that you have always been and for the wonderful friend that you have become. I love you so much, and hope you have a very happy Mother's Day.

Love,
Karen





Dear Bryson, Meg, Max, and Sophie,

Thank you for being my children. There are many days that I know you wonder if I like being a mom because of how much yelling I do, but I want you to know that there is NOTHING that I would rather be than your mom. I am not perfect, and there are many ways in which I don't deserve you...but I am forever grateful that I have been so blessed to have you in my life.

Bryson- from the moment you were born and first made me a mother, I have cherished your sweet spirit. You have changed me in ways that I still don't fully comprehend. I love your gentle heart, and smiling eyes. Your siblings are so blessed to have you as their big brother.

Meggie - You have been a gift to me. You are so loved. From the time you were born, you have brought so much laughter and joy to us, my first daughter. You feel things so deeply, and I see so much of myself reflected in you - your love of reading, your emotional nature, your feisty personality. There is a beauty in you that goes so far beyond your appearance. I love you.

Max - My sweet boy. You are my loviest little one. I am so grateful that the health problems and surgeries of your infancy have not threatened to take you from us. You bring such a simple joy to my heart, and I love how you remind me to slow down and snuggle. You have such an innocence about you, and you try so hard to make me happy. And you do. You make me happy every day.

Sophie - Oh, fearless one. You are my adventurous, stubborn daughter. I don't think you even know the meaning of fear (except of strangers, phew!). Nothing is too high for you to climb. I often get after you about this trait now, but I know that as you get older, it will allow you to push yourself to reach for and attain great things. You teach me to not let fear stop me from trying new things. What a wonderful gift you are!

Each of you are precious, individuals who have given me a sense of purpose, wonder and joy. Thank you for making me a mother!

Love,
Mom

Comments

katie and co. said…
Tears and laughter here...seriously. That was awesome. What a clever idea. You're such a good Mom, Karen. I miss living by you and learning from you. Glad I can always take a peak in on the blog to get my fill.
pan x 8 said…
Thank you for touching my hear this morning! I love all the beautiful qualities of your children because they came from you!

Love you! Hope you had a great Mom's Day!
Cindy said…
What a sweet tribute! Happy Mother's day!
marta said…
what a lovely tribute to your children. am glad you commented! i think i recognize your mama! if you have a li'l sister named lindsey, then i have definitely been to your old house. my cousin is whitney despain, perhaps you know her. it is quite the small world.

thanks for being so sweet. have a great day and happy mother's day.
Marrdy said…
Oh my goodness. That was beautiful. Where is a tissue?